Driveshaft Question

Boosted1
02-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok, I am going to try to sell the car "as-is", but if it doesn't go soon, those U-joints are going to need replaced. They want $250/piece Canadian, plus installation. I can get a carbon fiber driveshaft for like $700 American, so I am wondering if the extra money would be worth it. What does a CF driveshaft do for performance anyway?

Thourun
02-01-2005, 08:11 PM
I think its just the weight difference and drivetran loss when you get going, might feel more peppy. Plus it weighs a lot less so thats good all around.

stfuad
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Yah, you'll definatly accelerate quicker. Plus since it's carbon fiber if it ever breaks it won't shoot up through your floor pan and kill you... (If that's ever happened... to anyone...)

Thourun
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
There are some people who worry about a 1 piece driveshaft doing shit like that. I like them though, they are lighter and all that.

Igovert500
02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
There are alot of good threads about light-weight driveshafts on 3si. As far as I know you can get 1, 2, or 3 piece ones made from CF, aluminum, and possibly one more material that I can't think of right now.

The advantage of them is not only the weight reduction, but the weight reduction is in a key place...the drivetrain. This is a reduction in rotational mass, which means less parasitic drivetrain loss of hp...which is good as this is one of downsides of AWD.

The one piece lightweight DSs cause some people to complain about vibration, so some recommend going with a slightly heavier (but still less than stock) 2pc. Others say you can simply flip the driveshaft over and it will stop the vibration (if there was any)...I have no personal experience withe them, so I recommend checking out the threads on 3si and seeing what actual owners have to say.

talskinyguy
02-01-2005, 11:50 PM
They also flex when put under stress, therefore taking some of the stress off the transfer case.

Add your comment to this topic!