Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CR-V vs Tucson

dks1025
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
CR-V vs Tucson
These are the top 2 small suv's on my list. I'm looking to spend not much over 20K. I really like the new Tucson, but I need a vehicle to last for 10 years and 200K+ miles.
Any advice and other recomendations are appreciated.

Thanks
David

Right_LiRrr
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
If you want it to last 10 yrs, I'd think Honda is the safest way to go. I don't think you can really call it an SUV though, it's more like a sedan on big wheels and raised suspension.

dks1025
02-01-2005, 07:55 PM
If you want it to last 10 yrs, I'd think Honda is the safest way to go. I don't think you can really call it an SUV though, it's more like a sedan on big wheels and raised suspension.

I have 2 accords. A 92 with 215K miles and a 2001 my wife drives. I love Hondas but I couldnt help but give the Tucson a second look. I just with Honda and Toyota would step up and match the warranties companies like Hyundai and Kia offer. I think if they did Hyundai and Kia wouldnt be around too much longer.

kman10587
02-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Toyota and Honda don't have to offer long warranties because everybody knows how reliable they are. Hyundai and Kia do, because their reliability is still questionable. I'd definitely go with the CR-V on this one for that reason alone.

Right_LiRrr
02-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Mistubishi here in Aust are offering 10yr warranties on their new Lancers. 10!! Does that mean they are more reliable? When I went to get my car, I was having a chat to the dealer and he told me that the industry buzz was that Mitsu was gonna be finished here in Aust in 6 months and were trying to get rid of as many cars as possible.

As kman says, Kia/Hyundai's warranty is just to attract you since their cars are not proven. IMO, historical data is much more important to me than a longer warranty. There is no way a 5yr from Hyundai would sell me the car when all other offer at least 3. It's a cheap gimmick.

Also, having had some experience with Hyundais, it's as I've expected: offering so many features for so little price means there are cutting corners somewhere. Korean cars in general have a long way to go.

But if you're looking for an off-road SUV, the CR-V is not it. However, if you just want to ride higher than others in traffic, it's probably the best choice since it won't double your fuel bills like other SUVs.

del
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
yeah, the cr-v isn't a serious off-roader, but what percentage of SUV's actually see anything but pavement and occastional wet weather. it'll handle most anything the average driver will throw at it. besides, there are only a handful of SUV's nowadays that you can actually take off road with confidence. jeeps, range rovers, and a 4runner are the only ones right off the top of my head right now. i can probably think of a few more but for the most part, most SUV's aren't what you'd call serious off roaders.

anyway, have to go with the cr-v here. reliable, generous cargo and people room for its size. serves its purpose better than most in its class.

Ssom
02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Do you guys get the Nissan X Trail over there? That'd be my choice over the CRV or Tuscon......

dks1025
02-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Do you guys get the Nissan X Trail over there? That'd be my choice over the CRV or Tuscon......

We have the Nissan Xterra, my friend has had one for about 5 years and its a dang good vehicle. It's gas mileage isn't very impressive though. I drive about 90 miles a day to and from work so gas mileage is very important to me.

Thanks guys for all the responses.

MexSiR
02-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Nop, they dont have the XTrail. Only X-Terra.

Add your comment to this topic!