2004 Envoy lights dimming

hmyers
01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
I have a 2004 Envoy and I notice that my lights dim occassionally. I just had my alternator changed and it continues to do the same thing. Anyone else with this problem?

Tecknology
02-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I just bought an 04 myself so whenever I see someone complaining about it I get a little concerned. How did you first notice the lights were dimming?

hmyers
02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
I just bought an 04 myself so whenever I see someone complaining about it I get a little concerned. How did you first notice the lights were dimming?

Don't get me wrong...I love my envoy. I noticed it while driving at a constant speed right before the sun was completely up..so it was still allittle dark.

jhinz57
12-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a 2004 Envoy and I notice that my lights dim occassionally. I just had my alternator changed and it continues to do the same thing. Anyone else with this problem?
I have a 2005 Envoy that is doing the same thing. Currently my mileage is less than 5000.The AMP gauge will drop all the way to the negative side and lights will dim for maybe 3 - 5 seconds. The dealer put in a new battery and also an alternator. The GM Tech says it is a "normal condition". I have taken my case to GM and also the BBB in Arlington, VA. I want them to buy it back. This is the second Envoy I have owned. I had 2 Jimmys before that. I also am a 4X Caddie owner. I have made up my mind to go Honda or Toyota in the future. I'm sick and tired of General Motor"s poor quality. This new Envoy pushed me to Japan. I have also talked to other GM owners, (not only Envoy), that have the same problem with the dimming lights. I'm convinced GM knows what the problem is but they won't admit it because of the massive recall it would involve. Refer to the GM Service Bulletin Document ID# 1540541 for more information. It's actually a pretty lame document.

gitpicker1954
02-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I also have a 2005 Envoy. The headlights dim and the blower fan for the heater slows down and the dash lights dim. At the same time the ammeter drops about 3 amps. I have had the battery replaced and the alternator replaced. But to no avail. Have you found a solution to the problem. Actually it has become a dangerous situation. People think that I am flashing my lights at them signalling them to go first at a four way stop!

dendress
03-14-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a 2005 Envoy with the same problem. The headlights and dash lights will dim and at the same time the engine doesn't have the response that it normally does. I have had it in five times to be fixed, and I keep getting told it is "normal." The service manager is working with GM, but GM claims to have no record of this issue. It is very frustrating, good luck.

RABarrett
03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Something to consider here, guys, is that the PCM now controls the charging system, based on demands, and emission requirements. If the engine load permits, the alternator will be loaded to charge the battery, unless the battery is very discharged. This load balancing act is very consistent with similar models and makes, with OBD II systems. The alternator is a load on the system, affecting emissions directly, therefore is now oart of the PCM programming. I am surprised that the techs are not aware of this. Ray

Letteer
11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I have an 05 XL SLT that has the dimming or flickering lights aslo. I have had the alternator changed, and it did help for about six months, then right back at it. The dealership also tells me this is a "normal" condition. They have agreed to replace the BCP but do not think it will fix the problem. Mine does it more in cold weather, but it is like other have said, other drivers think you are flashing them because of this problem. If GM continues saying this is normal, then they will find it "normal" for us to buy other vehicles than GM. My dealership is trying, but I have been living with it for almost 2 years now, and sure don't like it. One thing they told me is to wait at least 20 seconds after starting before moving the vehicle to allow the air pump to cycle. This has helped with the flickering, but when I kick it in passing gear, at around 4000 RPM the lights just go dim and flicker. This is the only vehicle I have had that I had to wait to drive it waiting for it to finish it's stuff...very stupid. Hope this helps.

maxwedge
11-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Welcome to AF, please note the dates on the threads you reply/add to, this is way too old. There are Tech bulletins referring to this issue, ask if they have implemented the recommendations. Not sure of the details, this thread is now locked, open a new one to continue.

Add your comment to this topic!