Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clunk sound under my Z71

jzurita
01-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Got a 2002 Silverado Z71. I have read many threads on the "clunk" sound under these silverados. I checked everything: steering, hubs, etc. Finally found my problem. There is a worn bushing where the torsion crossmember meets the frame. The bushing has the size and shape of a hockey puck. It looks like an easy fix...but when I called Chevrolet for the part, they have no idea what I am talking about! They dont know the part name or anything. Has anyone had this problem...if so what is the name of the part I need? And is it an easy fix?

TexasF355F1
01-31-2005, 04:55 PM
If you're referring to the clunk you hear when shifting out of park then yes I have this too. But ive also heard it on other GM cars as well. Just another gripe i have with GM. I use to be a complete GM supporter but b/c of their lack of balls to build concepts and seemingly rushed production runs i'm now unbiased and look in all areas.

jzurita
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
The sound is heard only when the truck is in motion. From 5-20 mph on a bumpy road it sounds like I have a loose front wheel or something. If I pull on the torsion bar, it moves up and down about an inch, loosely where the crossmember meets the frame. Someone told me that these bushing wear out from time to time...just spoke to Chevrolet again...now they say I am not suppose to have anything there! Was my truck just special or something? :eek7:

chuck16
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM
It's probably the Torsion bar mount on the back part of the Torsion bar. The bushing needs to be replaced. I had the same problem on my Blazer after they replaced the bushing it was fine.

Add your comment to this topic!