Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Leveling Kit.

mooseau
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed a lot, but I'm looking for a leveling kit for my 2002 Z71. I don't want to crank up my torsion bars because I've heard so many things that can go wrong. I know there is another option (not sure exactly what it is). Anybody's input would be appreciated. Thanks.

norwood
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Basically a leveling kit for torsion bars consists of torsion keys with different indexing or "clocking". This allows for a much higher adjustment than the stock would allow. Such as the Ford keys I installed on my '99 Silverado. All that being said, understand that you are still "cranking" up your torsion bars. Thats what leveling is. I raised my Silvey about an inch and a half or so. So far every thing has been fine.

BTW the leveling kits you may see on ebay are nothing more than these different indexed keys and I've seen them for $70-$80 bucks to almost $200!!! What a rip-off!!

The place to get them is http://www.fordpartsonline.com/

Use part#XL3Z5B328CA about $18 bucks ea. if I remember right

The article that tells all about this: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/fordkeys.shtml

mooseau
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much for your help.

abadassbowtie
02-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Is that the same part number that I will need to use On a 05 silverado

bumperjack
03-13-2005, 07:21 PM
[thanks for the info norwood}

sledneck781
05-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Just an update, I recently did this mod with the keys listed in this post, WORKS GREAT. I went from 27.5" top of front bumper to 30", and front wheel well top from 35.5" to 37.5". So basically I got a 2" lift in front to level the truck out nice for about $35 in parts. 1.5 hours labor about. Turning has gotten a little different but does not effect daily driving just if you concentrate on it. looks GREAt imo. I will post pictures tomorrow on my cardomain page.

sportin83
05-27-2005, 08:35 PM
is this the same leveling kit for a 2wd truck also or does this not work?

Moose is loose
05-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Nope, 2wD = coil springs.

BlenderWizard
05-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Now, they do make spacers for coil springs, but you can expect a rougher ride if you use them

sportin83
05-27-2005, 11:34 PM
where can i get spacers and how much will they cost?

norwood
05-28-2005, 12:48 AM
where can i get spacers and how much will they cost?

Here's one place:SuspensionConnection (http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=1/sf=category/se=Leveling%20Kits/op=eq/nu=0/sf=veh_make/se=Chevy%20%3A%3A%20GMC/op=eq/nu=0/sf=model/se=%3Cb%3E1999-2003%3C%3A%3Ab%3E%20-%20Chevy%20Leveling%20Kits/op=eq/nu=0/ml=25/tf=category/to=x/tf=veh_make/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html)

And another:JackIt (http://www.jackit.com/springs/coil_spacers.htm#chevy)

sportin83
05-29-2005, 02:10 AM
has any one on here used the coil spacers and if so how hard are they to install and how does it ride after the install. thanks

sledneck781
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Here is the link to look at the difference it made.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/717670/1

norwood
06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Nice lookin' truck, man.
Thats how they should look rolling off the assembly line IMO.

sledneck781
06-05-2005, 08:12 AM
I totally agree that is how it should look off the assembly line, why should ford and dodge but not GM.

misfitt006
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey everybody. Sorry to bump an old thread back up but I just came across this message board searching for a lift kit for my '02 Z-71. I am new to the truck world as this is my first pick-up. All I am looking to do is put some 33's on it. I've been told that I can't do it with a stock suspension because the front end is too low and I won't have room to turn the wheels with 33's. Will installing these ford keys give the the room to do this or am I still going to be required to lift it up some to get the clearance I need for turning? If these won't work for what I want them for, does anybody know of any other options that I can use without spending $1,500 to lift my truck?

sledneck781
08-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah i think it should give u enough, look at the measurements i gave in the forum thread earlier on. I have seen it with 35s and they rubbed only a little. 33 should be fine. Goodluck

misfitt006
09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Basically a leveling kit for torsion bars consists of torsion keys with different indexing or "clocking". This allows for a much higher adjustment than the stock would allow. Such as the Ford keys I installed on my '99 Silverado. All that being said, understand that you are still "cranking" up your torsion bars. Thats what leveling is. I raised my Silvey about an inch and a half or so. So far every thing has been fine.

BTW the leveling kits you may see on ebay are nothing more than these different indexed keys and I've seen them for $70-$80 bucks to almost $200!!! What a rip-off!!

The place to get them is http://www.fordpartsonline.com/

Use part#XL3Z5B328CA about $18 bucks ea. if I remember right

The article that tells all about this: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/fordkeys.shtml

Hey Norwood I hate to bump this old thread back up but I'm looking to buy these and install them within the next 2 weeks and looked at the website that you gave and I have a question. When i did a search with the part number it came up with about 4 parts and I'm not sure which ones I need. It also doesnt specify if it is the driver or passenger side. I know that they can only be installed one way and I was wondering if it is the same part on both sides or is it two different parts. I called my local Ford dealer and they want over $30 each for them so I'll be getting them online for $19....suckers Thanks in advance

misfitt006
09-22-2005, 10:34 AM
By the way I've got an '02 Xcab 1500 Z-71 4wd

fire24resque
09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
How many turns can you crank your torsion bars before it becomes unsafe? I cranked mine 6 full turns about a year and a half ago, my truck isn't totally level, probably about an inch or so to go, but I'm afraid to do anymore. I'm not really interested in getting the torsion bar adjuster keys to level it out, just wondering how far is safe to crank on them.

norwood
09-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey Norwood I hate to bump this old thread back up but I'm looking to buy these and install them within the next 2 weeks and looked at the website that you gave and I have a question. When i did a search with the part number it came up with about 4 parts and I'm not sure which ones I need. It also doesnt specify if it is the driver or passenger side. I know that they can only be installed one way and I was wondering if it is the same part on both sides or is it two different parts. I called my local Ford dealer and they want over $30 each for them so I'll be getting them online for $19....suckers Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you came up with. When you go to that Ford parts site, you need to enter a vehicle type. I just enter a 1999 F-150. Then the torsion key part #........

TORSION BAR ADJUSTER, F150-250 - 4WD 97-04 $25.53 $0.00 $19.15
Front suspension - Wheel bearings - Torsion bar adjuster

Is what should come up. Same part left or right. You will need 2. They will fit an '02

norwood
09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
How many turns can you crank your torsion bars before it becomes unsafe? I cranked mine 6 full turns about a year and a half ago, my truck isn't totally level, probably about an inch or so to go, but I'm afraid to do anymore. I'm not really interested in getting the torsion bar adjuster keys to level it out, just wondering how far is safe to crank on them.

I don't know if it's really a matter of "unsafe" or not but as with most anything, you usually don't want to go to the max. Worst case is to raise it so high that the suspension is topped out all the time. Not good.
Probably not enough adjustment in the stock set-up to really do that. But if you're satisfied with the way it looks now, I wouldn't go any higher. How are your tires wearing? Very important to get alignment checked/adjusted after messing with the torsion adjustment.

misfitt006
09-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure what you came up with. When you go to that Ford parts site, you need to enter a vehicle type. I just enter a 1999 F-150. Then the torsion key part #........

TORSION BAR ADJUSTER, F150-250 - 4WD 97-04 $25.53 $0.00 $19.15
Front suspension - Wheel bearings - Torsion bar adjuster

Is what should come up. Same part left or right. You will need 2. They will fit an '02

Hey thanks a lot for the info. I just went to the site and did a search for the part number without putting in a vehicle. Do you happen to remember what the shipping charge was on these? I went to order tham today and it would not tell me what the shipping charge was until after the order was completed and I thought that was a little sketchy so I was going to shop around a little bit. I'll probaby order it from the site anyway I just don't like authorizing someone to charge my card until I know exactly how much they'll be charging....call me crazy lol

fire24resque
09-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't know if it's really a matter of "unsafe" or not but as with most anything, you usually don't want to go to the max. Worst case is to raise it so high that the suspension is topped out all the time. Not good.
Probably not enough adjustment in the stock set-up to really do that. But if you're satisfied with the way it looks now, I wouldn't go any higher. How are your tires wearing? Very important to get alignment checked/adjusted after messing with the torsion adjustment.

I guess I'm ok with where it sits now. Like I said I cranked them 6 full turns each. About two days later I took it and had a full alignment done. Tires are wearing fine. I guess I'll leave it alone before I cause problems!! Thanks.

norwood
09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey thanks a lot for the info. I just went to the site and did a search for the part number without putting in a vehicle. Do you happen to remember what the shipping charge was on these? I went to order tham today and it would not tell me what the shipping charge was until after the order was completed and I thought that was a little sketchy so I was going to shop around a little bit. I'll probaby order it from the site anyway I just don't like authorizing someone to charge my card until I know exactly how much they'll be charging....call me crazy lol

No, I really don't remember how much shipping was. It wasn't anything outragous or out of line because I'm pretty much a cheap bastard. :iceslolan

redneck45
09-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I only got 3 turns on one side and 5 turns on the other before the bolts bottomed out (it was not level from the factory) on my '99 Z71. Put add-a-leafs in the rear and had it aligned. Now it sits like norwood's truck. Rides just fine. Next is 285's and bilstiens. Original reason was cause it would sit low
with my boat attached, so after the add-a-leafs the rear was way up. Much better looking and haulin truck than before. The 1/2 ton chevys are very weak in the rear if you put any kind of load on them.

Add your comment to this topic!