Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

code 1351.. what needs to be replaced?

prntsails55
01-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Good day to all, I have a no start problem, the code reader says code P1351. What do I do to fix the problem? Thank you very much and I will help when I can.

wolfox
01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
P1351 Ignition Coil Control Circuit High Voltage

I found this explaination on the web, but I haven't the foggiest on how it applies to our trucks. But I am sure to learn shortly as you will. ;) Please do us a favor and post the Year, VIN engine code and any other pertinent details. This includes what has been fixed recently by either you or a garage, etc. The usual, helpful folks should be along with more information quickly.
I once tripped a similar code in my Dodge Ram 1500 after using a cylinder cleaning kit from MOPAR. The code reset itself after the third start and run. Apparently, to overcome slightly gunky plugs, the DCM boosted the current temporarily - or some crazy junk like that. I never got a clear answer out of the technicians in the pits over at the local Dodge dealership about it.

BlazerLT
01-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Good day to all, I have a no start problem, the code reader says code P1351. What do I do to fix the problem? Thank you very much and I will help when I can.

Be more specific about your truck, we can't read minds bro.

Year? Engine?

blazee
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
He's got a 99 blazer.

BlazerLT
01-31-2005, 09:24 PM
This is a tough one.

Don't really know of anything that would cause that code.

Anyone done any research on it?

blazee
01-31-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm lost on this one.

P1351 Ignition Coil Control Circuit High Voltage

Does this mean that the voltage to the coil is too high?

Or does it mean there is a problem with the high voltage coming from the coil? which would indicate a problem with the Coil wire, distributer, cap, or rotor.

BlazerLT
02-01-2005, 04:59 PM
prntsails55 found his solution but for some poor reason, decided to post it in a different thread?

""Well ,I think I got 'er done. By the way I have a 99 Blazer w/4.3. (sorry I didn't mention that).Any how I replaced the coil and all seems fine. I went to the library and got a book on codes, it is called OBD11 Diagnostic Fault Codes by Peter David. It explained alot about the code mystery. I also put on a new dist. cap, rotor,and crank sensor. Next is oil line replacement. Thanks for your help.""

prntsails55
02-02-2005, 04:07 PM
prntsails55 found his solution but for some poor reason, decided to post it in a different thread?

""Well ,I think I got 'er done. By the way I have a 99 Blazer w/4.3. (sorry I didn't mention that).Any how I replaced the coil and all seems fine. I went to the library and got a book on codes, it is called OBD11 Diagnostic Fault Codes by Peter David. It explained alot about the code mystery. I also put on a new dist. cap, rotor,and crank sensor. Next is oil line replacement. Thanks for your help.""
Sorry about the posting mistake, will try to do better. The problem is back..... will notify when solved. Thanks

TonyMazz
02-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Heres a starting point for P1351

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition control is enabled
The engine speed is less than 250 RPM

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ignition control voltage is more than 4.9 volts.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The Control Module illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) if a failure is detected during 2 consecutive key cycles.

The Control Module will set the DTC and records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The Control Module stores the failure information in the scan tools Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The Control Module turns OFF the MIL after 3 consecutive drive trips when the test has Run and Passed.

A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 22C (40F) from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature is more than 70C (158F) during the same ignition cycle).

Use the scan tool Clear Information function.

Diagnostic Aids
Intermittent test - If the connections and the harness check OK, monitor a digital voltmeter connected between VCM terminal C3 pin 9 and C4 pin 18 while moving related connectors and wiring harness.

If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change. This may help to isolate the location of the malfunction.

An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions:

A poor connection

Rubbed through wire insulation

A broken wire inside the insulation

Thoroughly check any circuitry that is suspected of causing the intermittent complaint.
Refer to Intermittents and Poor Connections Diagnosis. See: Diagnosis By Symptom

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.

This step determines if the DTC is an intermittent.
This step checks if the IC signal from the VCM is available at the ignition control module.

pickering_c
09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=prntsails55]Good day to all, I have a no start problem, the code reader says code P1351. What do I do to fix the problem? Thank you very much and I will help when I can.

I am fighting the same issue, 96 c2500 7.4l vin code j, 188k miles. Mine is hard to start, then runs horrible, misses, backfires, etc. I was "lucky" enough to piss the engine off enough to throw the 1351 code 1 time. Other than the one code, it will not tell me anything. Have scanned with a decent scanner, everything reads normal. I have changed plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, coil, cam pickup sensor, ignition module. Only thing left that hasn't been replaced seems to be the crank position sensor.

The fuel injectors are less than 2 years old so I am fairly sure I am getting decent fuel delivery.

What finally fixed yours?

Add your comment to this topic!