Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear End

NuTuner
01-31-2005, 03:16 AM
Hi guys, got a problem. My beloved '85 GS is having problem. The rear end started producing these horrible grinding noises that I notice when I put the car in reverse and started backing down my drive way the other day .... I immediately turned the engien off and started to cry. Anyway, I think I need a new rear end. I have a GS, like I said before, and wouldn't mind upgrading to a Disk break rear axel, but at the moment I think I'm stickign with just another differential (monetary constraints). Could I upgrade to a GSL or GSL-SE rear end ? Is that possible, or am I stuck forever with the open-ended atrocity my car was built with ? Also, jumping from 3.90 to 4.10 might be fun. I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks in advance.

fcdriver
01-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Are you sure that it's the rear making the noise?

I'm sure there's a company that has limited slip difs for your car but you'll just have to do a little digging to hind one.
When all is said and done if you do jump to a 4.10 then make sure to get the worm gear so your spedo will be correct.

mx52nv
01-31-2005, 01:21 PM
hey, my local salvage yard just got in an 84 I think. I'll see which rear it has and let you know.

NuTuner
02-01-2005, 01:31 AM
thanks a bunch mx52nv, I really appreciate it. Let me know what you find out :)
Tim

mx52nv
02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
we just had about 8in of snow over the weekend, but soon as it warms a bit this week I'll go look at it.

D3rELiC
02-07-2005, 06:00 PM
you can definitively upgrade to a GSL or GSL-SE rear end, the GSL is smaller and weaker, but do the job for the power the engine is producing. if you find a GSL-SE rear end you'll need to upgrade the front splindles too, to keep the same bolt pathern all arround. its more pain in the ass, but you get bigger disk front and rear. theres also a way to have FC 4 piston caliper fitted up front on the gsl-se front splindles.

Add your comment to this topic!