Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiring Basics

IntegraBoy405
01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know any good websites on different ways to wire from amp to sub(s). I want to know the different ways to get different impedances. Also, does a dual 4 ohm vc equal 8 ohms? what is the most smallest impedance you can get two 4 ohm DVC's down to... 8? confusing.

95tahoe4x4
01-30-2005, 11:52 PM
JBL.com or JLaudio.com - go to the product support and to the wiring diagram sections - it does not matter if you do not have JBL or JL, all subs wire the same.

There are two basics to consider, parrallel or series, one will yeild a higher ohm rating than the other. If you do not have an amp that is 2 ohm stable (meaning it wont shut down) then you do not need to be concerned with the series wiring.

dual voice coil (DVC) will yield a different ohm rating at the amp than a single voice coil (SVC)

It all starts at the amp, a good amp will drive a medium quality speaker wild, but a high quality speaker with a cheap amp will crap out and you will think that brand of speaker sucks, when it is your amp.

Ohm = resistance, which changes all the time, but the number is there for a starting point,

2 Ohms at the amp make it run hard (puts out more watts) but extremely hot (an amp that is not 2 ohm stable will shut down very quickly) 4 or 8 Ohms make the amp not put out as much, but is much safer for the amp, MOST AMPS ARE NOT 2 OHM STABLE - ESPECIALLY THE CHEAP ONES THAT CLAIM TO PUT OUT 3,000 KZILLION WATTS o.k. I exaggerated but hopefully you get the idea.

it is easier to look at the pictures than explain, good luck.

Kt - email me if you have more questions, I have installed about 35 compete systems (deck, speakers, crossovers, amps dvd, etc.)

sr20de4evr
01-31-2005, 01:53 AM
a dual 4 in parallel will give you 2ohm, a dual 4 in series will give you 8ohm

bumpinstang77
01-31-2005, 11:35 AM
"ohm rating".....hmmmm Haven't heard this one yet.... my favorite so far is ohmage...... PEOPLE IT'S CALLED IMPEDANCE! lmao...... dude w/ the "ohmage" q..... look at it this way..... if you wire in parallel (+to+ -to-)it will be half the impedance of ONE coil..... if you wire series (amp+ to +on coile one -on coil one to +coil 2 -coil2 to -amp..... it will be the 2 VC's added) For example in SERIES dual2 would be 4 Dual 3 would be 6 Dual 4 would be 8 dual 8 would be 16......in paralell d2 would be 1 d3 would be 1.5 d4=2 d8=4....... ok ur good to go n e more q's jusss ask.

rowdyacehole101
09-24-2005, 04:32 PM
i need help on wiring a kicker comp 15" dual voice coil speaker by itself max power at 4 ohms

Add your comment to this topic!