Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000-2004 owners poll

TwentyPints
01-30-2005, 07:55 PM
was just curious about all the claims im reading about 2000-2004 silverados and all the problems they have. what kinda problems did everyone run into, around what millage? and do you have a reg cab, extended cab, quad cab. was wondering if the same problems were more persistant to one type, just a thought....since they are produced at different plants, in 2 different countries.

silveradoman
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Biggest issue Iīve had is to replace the head gaskets due to a coolant leak at 50,000 km, then thereīs the piston slap I canīt run away from, bad parking break pads at 40,000 km. Right now the truck has 70,000km and hasnīt given me any major issues since then. I changed the tailgate cables already and put in the stainless steel ones in (I know a guy at the plant that makes them in the US, I called him up and he walked out to the production floor and fed exed me four pairs of 'em (hehehe) made in the states :naughty: :iceslolan :biggrin: :rofl: oh I almost forgot, replace the front u joint at about 45,000 km took away the vibration issue it had going at 130km/hr.

kenny-1907
01-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Well i own a 2000 Silverado and luckily i have not had any major problems with it yet. I have had the typical electronic 4x4 switch go out on me (72K) and cost me $300 to boot cause this happend before i even knew about this site. Also had the power mirror switch go out on the drivers door as well(75K) , the electric door lock motor mechanisim in the passenger door stripped the gears out of it for some reason, fuel pump whine but that has gone away with isopropyl (must have been water in the tank). But since i have been modding the truck a bit for more horsepower and torque, now i have to deal with the torque managment that only a programmer can help fix....to an extent. Also i have the emergency brakes that do not work because the drivers side is worn right out from a sticky cable from before i got the truck(got the truck with 72K on it).................all minor problems but they do start adding up. All in all nothing really major YET and thankfully i do not have the piston slap. Truck now has almost 90k on it. oh and that is K as in kilometers not miles . I.....AM....CANADIAN :biggrin::biggrin:

Nigel215
01-31-2005, 06:48 AM
I just hit 76K over the weekend. No serious problems yet and hope not tp have any.

jeverett
01-31-2005, 07:04 AM
I got almost 106K..thats miles and had my fair share of problems. I was hauling tail around a hay field last night pulling someone on a mattress....what bored people wont do sometimes..

TwentyPints
01-31-2005, 07:50 AM
the two things i've noticed is a vibration around 120 km/hr, and a crackling noise that sounds like it's coming from around where the antenna is...at around the same speed too. i have 13,000 km on the vehicle.

TorinoGT69
01-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Leaking power steering pump, Knocking A/C Compressor, slow idle and piston slap, these are all common on these trucks.

mytruckco
01-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Replying to twentypintys compalint of crackling around the windshield. There are a bunch or posts on this. If that is a pic of your truck shown, it is becasue of the bug deflector. Causes the molding on the windshield to flap, as the defelctor changes air flow over the front of the truck. You can fix it with double stick tape (attache molding edge to windshield), but I just asked the dealer, and since my truck was under warranty, they just glued the molding down, with the back goo stuff they use to install windhsield.

TexasF355F1
01-31-2005, 10:09 AM
I have a 99 with around 70,300 miles on it. No serious problems, just had to replace the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump at the same time. I also have an inconsistency in the performance of the truck, which seems to be a problem for a lot of people. It just seems to run differently everyday.

mytruckco
01-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Excuse the spelling on my last post. Fingers and Keyboard never seem to mesh right. Forgot to mention that so far my truck has been pretty good. I have a 2004 silverado (extended cab, Z-71, 4x4, 5.3). 15k miles now. I had the acceraltor pedal replaced (spring squeak), and the dealer reglued my windshield molding to get rid of the crackling sound caused by the bug deflector. Other than that I like the way it handles on the road (great highway cruiser). I has also preformed well offroad duign hunting season. My dad has a 2004 (standard cab, stepside, LS, 5.3, 4x4) as well with 25k miles and he thinks it is a great truck. I have been pleasantly suprised as this is my first foray into american trucks ina about 20 years. I have been a toyota fan until now. I bought this truck because my Tacoma could not put a child seat in back, and it also had more rear leg room than the tundra (they did not have the double cab out when I purchased).

rabt
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
2001 Ext Cab 2wd V-8 LS .... 95,000 miles not one problem yet i bought it brand new treat it like crap ( change the oil when it says too around 7500 miles , never change trans fliud or anything else for that matter )and it runs like a champ ...... i tow a trailer all the time .... most of the time its around 7000 lbs but sometimes alot higher .... i just keep it clean and drive the hell out of it .... the same thing with my 2004 not a problem yet .... oh yeah my dad has a 2003 Ext Cab Z71 LT 41,000 miles he treats his the same way i do mine and the only thing he had go wrong with his was a axel seal on the drivers side at about 30,000 miles fixed at dealer under warranty in about 4 hours ...... my brothers 1999 the same way its a Reg Cab 4x4 not one problem yet and i think he has around 170,000 miles on his..

TexasF355F1
01-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Shouldn't it be 99-2004 polling instead?

TwentyPints
01-31-2005, 10:34 PM
thanks for the input mytruckco on the cracking noise.

i kinda noticed my accelerator pedal squeeking the other day too.

texas -- yes i guess 99-04 would have been a better thread title.

Tom_Boucher
02-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I got 2 silverados at work both 2003 both with just under 60,000km
Have replaced the rotor and cap between the two 11 (I think could be 13) times.

You tell me.

gremlin96
02-11-2005, 09:27 AM
silv. short bed 5 speed.

problems started at 1k miles. every time i drive the truck over 30 min it bucks. does it so hard I can not have any thing in the back over the rails or it will end up braking the tie downs.

had a water leak around the doors filled the door pockets up. bad gasket around the door. window seal the one at the top of the window pulls off when you roll down the window at temps are above 70 f .

dealer reglued my windshield molding use a glue that has started eating the paint off the truck. the molding pulled away from the glue during the first ice storm. thay replaced the molding but did not even atempt to repaint the truck.

the bucking problem was told to keep checking back till chevy says thay can find and fix the probem. no codes, but the dealer tested the truck and said yes you do have a problem.

bowtieguy
02-11-2005, 10:25 AM
i have a 02 Z71 ext cab with the LT trim package and the 5.3 with a little over 55,000 on it now just had the little complaint a lot of people had and that was the steering intermediate shaft which was replace under warranty quickly and no problem since. that happened about 20,000 miles or so. knock on wood that is the only problem i have ever had.

Nigel215
02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
i just replaced my water pump... the wheel that is attached to the fan was wobbling and causing the belt to come off....that wasent fun, i was driving and my steering went out. Turns out that the water pump was causing that screech sound i was complaning about a month ago, i thought it was the alternator. good thing i dident change it.

automps
02-23-2005, 09:29 PM
2002 chevy hd 2500 4x4 ext cab... Steering shaft started knocking around 8000 miles ,and the suck ass rear end wines around 50 miles an hour,dealer said they all do that,bullshit.the truck has 22,000 miles on it now! But i love that black piece of crap!!!!!! see ya ,MPS AUTO SERVICE

Add your comment to this topic!