Page updated on 06-20-2018

What are the best mods to improve MPG on a 88 model Ram

2shus
01-30-2005, 07:15 PM
I have a 1988 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 4X4 with a 318 TBI. What mods can be done to improve MPG. It runs great but only gets about 9 MPG in town and barely 11 on the highway and is somewhat anemic compared to my 85 van with carb and 318. I am considering headers with duals and some sort of free flow air intake system. I have heard of some sort of spacer or riser for the throttle body, what about that? What other mods can I do to help and what if any components can or should be removed without affecting the computer system drastically. This is for a (1988) model. Also would going back to carb be a good option to help with MPG and maybe more power? My old 85 dodge van with carb gets 14 MPG on the highway. I realize the 4X4 cost some in mileage but feel their is room for some improvement. Also it does not have overdrive and that probably hurts me on the highway. Can any tranny mods be done resonably? Thanks.

fredjacksonsan
01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
If your truck has an oxygen (O2) sensor and it has gone bad, it could reduce the mpg you're getting. I'd have that checked first. Backyard mechanic test: see if there's alot of black moisture on the inside of your tailpipe; if so, there's a bunch of unburned gas being pumped in there. Try disconnecting the O2 sensor and if your mpg comes up then that's the culprit (or one of them).

I wouldn't rule out a tune up either. How does it run otherwise?

BleedDodge
02-01-2005, 12:42 AM
I'd never bother with headers just because the manifolds flow enough. The right headers do look cool though...

Dual exhaust is a must.

Add your comment to this topic!