Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cobalt LT or Sonata GLS?

smylegirl
01-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi there,
I'm finally ready to get rid of my 1995 Neon and get a new car. Today I went to the auto show and looked at several cars. My two favorites are the Chevy Cobalt LT and the Hyundai Sonata GLS. I like them both so much that I can't decide between them. I've looked at several websites to compare the features, and I've written a list of advantages for each. Here are some of the major ones (at least for me):

Cobalt LT:
Better gas mileage (24/32 vs 19/27)
Standard ABS and Traction Control
Heated Driver/Passenger Seats
Trip Computer
Audio Control on Steering Wheel
Available Side Head Curtain Airbags
Available MP3 player
(the Cobalt I'm looking at has both these options)

Sonata GLS:
Bigger Engine (2.7l V6 with 170 hp)
Standard Front Side Airbag
60/100 basic warranty; 10/100 powertrain warranty
Better features for rear passengers (folding armrest w/storage, rear ventilation ducts)

They both have a lot of good standard features, such as air conditioning, cruise control, radio w/CD player, leather wrapped steering wheel and gearshift, and remote keyless entry, and they both have quite a lot of interior space; as a 6' 1" driver I felt very comfortable in both.

So now my problem is which one to get. I think you probably get more features for your money with the Cobalt, but I like the larger engine of the Sonata, as well as its physical appearance.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions/comments/advice-- Thanks in advance!!

drdisque
01-30-2005, 05:32 PM
the Cobalt is probably the better built car and will be more fun to drive. I would only get the Sonata if you really need the extra size.

sirsmiley
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
I would actually look at the hyundai elantra hatchback, nice design, sporty tuned and reliable, im wary of the new pursuit/cobalts as they are just modified sunfires and cavaliers and first year cars always have problems...

the sonata is nice but i cant see it being as competitive...

the hyundai is probably built better than any gm product im sorry to say ! from my experience overall anyways... (although sunfires and cavs are pretty well built )

stay away from side airbags at all costs, they are not proven and so far they have shown to cause more damage than help...

drdisque
02-01-2005, 05:42 PM
the only thing the cobalt has in common with the cavalier is the engine.

nbr1nthuzyst
02-04-2005, 11:52 AM
i would go with the cobalt as well... i was looking at the "SS" model that is supposed to be coming out a little later.

C-DUBYA
02-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Sonata by far, wait a few moths for the new Sonata it will blow the cobalt away, PLus I heard the Cobalt is just another recycled platform by GM...a Saturn but I cannot remember which one.

tom3
02-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Test drive both cars. I suspect the ride quality and driving feel will be the deciding factor. Hard to beat GM for a nice driving, quiet, quality feeling car. That long warranty on the import is only as good as the service department doing the work, check with other owners if possible, can turn into a nightmare real quick if you do have problems. I guess that would go for the Cobalt as well. Think the Colbalt will have stainless steel exhaust too, something to consider four or five years from now.

Add your comment to this topic!