Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Probe Doesn't run off Idle

m103368
01-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Have a 1995 Probe 2.0 that starts instantly and runs like a swiss watch at Idle. But as soon as you touch the accelerator it starts popping, misfiring and hardly runs. and clues??? Thanks

a1waytrip
01-30-2005, 09:12 PM
ok here is what i would do, check the plugs/wires/distributer cap, do that and then let us know. hopefully it is something like that, if not maybe your timing is off? that sucks tho, i hope it is something small.
-tom

a1waytrip
01-30-2005, 11:58 PM
ghostclock make sure you make your own threads, and not hi-jack others

Ghostcloak
01-31-2005, 12:36 AM
ghostclock make sure you make your own threads, and not hi-jack others

I don't know that your talking about :smokin: lol.. nice automotive pun btw :nono:

I'm sorry to report that I dunno what might be wrong.. i've asked some of my mechanic friends down in the area... they says it could be bad fuel pump or timing. One of them said something about bad cams, but then idle wouldn't be normal either so iunno.

if you just sit idle, and rev the engine, does it chuga chuga chug? or is it only when you put it into gear....

m103368
01-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks you your inputs. The we did change plugs, cap & rotor, air filter is clean, orig owner. It has 45 psi fuel pressure. And when I say it runs like a swiss watch at idle I mean it, real smooth, not a single mis. But as soon as you grab the throttle, just manually at the engine, it will start to mis. I was thinking TPS but it's $125 at NAPA and a lot on a hunch. Be nice if one of you guys said you had the exact same thing and it was a #@^*2...

a1waytrip
01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
hey, sorry, i would seriously take it to a good, reputable mechanic, and just have them diagnos it. because it is so hard to guess on these cars. any way, that's just what i would do, good luck
-tom
check around at a junk yard for that part, it may not be reliable, but it will be alot cheaper (plus if it is small enough it could be free!) haha. any way good luck

jspence35
01-31-2005, 09:26 PM
we put lots of distributors in at the ford dealership; the timing advance function in the electronics of the dist. at fault; usually good idle, no power accel

m103368
02-02-2005, 07:21 PM
OK, went to bone yard and acquired a "new" dist, same exact symptons. Once past idle, misfires wicked bad, hardly runs, at idle still solid.

a1waytrip
02-02-2005, 11:28 PM
geez, i don't know man, that sux. i don't know what to tell you, do a compression check (if you have the tools) and see what you come out with if you don't have a service manual, you should def get one if you plan on working on this car. any way, good luck, sorry to hear about your problems, my probe is acting up to.
-tom

m103368
02-03-2005, 07:45 PM
MAF all the time, Junkyard, $50, instant fix, runs like a top throughout throttle range, thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!