Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amp suggestions

xivera
03-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Help, help! :D

I think I'd like to change my amp (or setup) for maximum use. It's an MTX RT4180. (Yeah... I know what you're thinking... "A what!? How OLD is that!?") It's powering everything. And, I'm getting about 2V from the HU preouts... if that means anything... (Probably means that I should get a new HU. hehe... My friend has 8V preouts! :eek: )

My speakers:
frt = Focal 165H [nominal power handling: 70W (max: 140W)]
sub = Infinity Perfect 10" [350W rms (1400W peak)] (currently bridged... obviously)

I was thinking of getting a bigger 4 channel amp but, then I also thought I could just get a 2 channel amp for the frt. and a dedicated sub amp.
Anyway, I need some good amp recommendations or suggestions. My friend suggested that I check out Alphasonik's new amps. They're pretty sweet... voltage display and doodads

sparq
03-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Dedicated speaker amp...

Dedicated subwoofer amp...

Whats your budget on the amps?

sparq
03-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Also, just so you know you dont "bridge" a subwoofer -- you bridge an amp... a subwoofer can be run in series, or parallel though. Just so you dont sound like a dumb ass when you talkin to people!

And another thing, Alphasonik isnt a new company -- they have been around nearly 30 years, but died out and now they are getting back into the game. Their stuff looks awesome, and im going to see about hooking up to become a dealer with them -- not sure how they are going to work, if they will be selling direct to customers or what -- so we will have to see, but hopefully we can do something! Their stuff looks awesome, and if its anything like the old stuff definately a good buy!

igo4bmx
03-14-2002, 04:57 PM
don't just buy an amp cuz it looks awesome, buy it cuz it looks cool...j/k
I would research that brand before you buy it,
it all depends on your budget and have a seperate amp and separate 2 channel would be nice.
the voltage looks low too, in which upgrading that could help!!
your friend has the 8 volt eclipse right? I can't believe how they get 8 volts for output out ofthat thing!!

sparq
03-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by igo4bmx
don't just buy an amp cuz it looks awesome, buy it cuz it looks cool...j/k
I would research that brand before you buy it,
it all depends on your budget and have a seperate amp and separate 2 channel would be nice.
the voltage looks low too, in which upgrading that could help!!
your friend has the 8 volt eclipse right? I can't believe how they get 8 volts for output out ofthat thing!! Ive got 6 volt preouts :finger:

xivera
03-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by sparq
Dedicated speaker amp...
Dedicated subwoofer amp...
Whats your budget on the amps?
Ok... Why not do the 4 channel amp? :confused:
Budget: http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/dunno.gif I'm looking for good brands/amps that will meet system's needs at a bargain...
Originally posted by sparq
Also, just so you know you dont "bridge" a subwoofer -- you bridge an amp... a subwoofer can be run in series, or parallel though. Just so you dont sound like a dumb ass when you talkin to people!
http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/pat.gif
Btw, what is your experience w/ Alphasonik? Or, your knowledge of Alphasonik's amps?
Originally posted by igo4bmx
your friend has the 8 volt eclipse right? I can't believe how they get 8 volts for output out ofthat thing!!
I don't think so... This is my friend the Clarion freak. He's got a Pro Audio HU. However, I'm unsure if Clarion has an 8V unit. :confused:

Add your comment to this topic!