Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing;Top Dead Center Positioning;crank shaft dispositioned

Richard J
01-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I have a 2.0 engine. I recently did a engine swap, with a motor from a truck I wrecked (front end of truck was damaged but motor was still good). Both motors were the same; 1987, 2.0 motors. After installing the motor and putting everything back together, I noticed that my timing mark on my pulley was way advanced and not running right. After trying to adjust the timing with a timing light and being unsuccesfull, I checked all my marks on my timing belt sprockets and they were off a little but still didn't fix the problem. So I thought I check my tdc (top dead center) with the number 1 spark plug out and watching my mark on the pulley. When I reached compression stoke the mark on pulley was way left of the pulley. I have a "haynes" do it your self book and it states that the mark should be right on tdc when on the compression stroke. And its way to the left. I have asked a few do it yourselfers in my neighborhood and their dumbfounded just as I am. The only possible reasons I think this could of happened is when I was doing some clutch work; removing the flywheel and such, I rotated the crank counter-clockwise quit a bit and I eventually read in the book that you should avoid rotating your crank counterclockwise. I don't know why but for some reason they don't want you to. If you know please let me know?
The only other reason is that maybe during the accident maybe it threw the piston or cylinder off a little. I have no clue. But for some reason the position of the piston has moved where my TDC is totally different now. I know I have my work cut out for me though. Please help, I'm reaching here. LOL Appreciate any feedback. Thanks :banghead:

poorboyj
01-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Mske sure the crankshaft has the key in it to allow the sprocket with the mark to be accutate with the crank position.

Jay

Richard J
01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Mske sure the crankshaft has the key in it to allow the sprocket with the mark to be accutate with the crank position.

Jay

Hey thanks Jay for writing in, if the key your talking about is the one that is on the crank pulley that has the timing hash mark on it then yes it is in place and it makes you put the pulley on only one way. If your talking about another key, I might not be to sure which one your referring too. I do appreciate your input and and more you have would be appreciated as well. So you don't think by me turning the crank counter-clockwise had anything to do with it?

Richard

poorboyj
01-31-2005, 05:34 PM
So you don't think by me turning the crank counter-clockwise had anything to do with it?

Richard,
We are talking about the same key. You can't hurt anything by rotating the crank like you did. If all of the marks are aligned and all of the original pullies/gears were used it should be correct. checking the piston position (TDC) does the arrow on the pulley line up like it is supposed to?

Jay

Richard J
01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
No Jay it doesn't line up on zero, tdc. If I had to guess where its at when I get my compression at #1 plug its about 20-30 btdc. I know this is a tough one and I'm hoping to have this all figured out before this weekend. I might have to go visit a mechanic perhaps.

poorboyj
02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, this is the source of the problem then. Sorry, I guess I didn;t understand the first post very well. I had a similar situation on my Eclipse. The pulley looked like this, http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/how_the_92.JPG, and also the thin little plate with the timing mark looked liek this, http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/how_the_91.JPG Double check these items and maybe try the sprocket from the other engine you removed.

Good luck,
Jay

Richard J
02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Wow, looks like that sprocket and metal plate has seen better days. So what happened with all of that. Did it just have corosion all on it and broke off your key allowing something to turn out of time or what?

I looked at my sprocket and plate and it was all in good condition. Wish that was the answer though. Got me a little excited thinking that might be it. LOL. I haven't given up yet. Some one at work was saying that perhaps I might of slipped a bearing. He said to take off the oil pan to get to it, so I'll check into that. Maybe that is the reason its not getting to TDC. Thanks Jay let me know if you can think of anything else. For some reason not getting much posts on this question. Maybe I need to broadcast it in another forum room.

Richard

Add your comment to this topic!