Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Identifying Year Of A Charger R/t

mentalmickey
03-14-2002, 02:59 PM
WHAT YEAR WAS THE BLACK CHARGER R/T IN THE FILM 'VANISHING POINT' (A CAR CHASE FILM MADE BACK IN THE EARLY/MID 90'S) WITH AN OLDER CHARGER R/T (WHITE ONE) sadly both got totalled:( but i've been trying to work out what exact year it is. got to be from 1970 to 74 but i'd like the exact year as i'd like to have a black one, just the same as in the movie;)

Polygon
03-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Well I suppose you are talking about the 90s remake of the 70s car chase movie Vanishing Point. I suggest you see the original, MUCH better. Ahyhow; to answer your question. The white car is actually a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE. The black car was a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T.

HemiGeorge
12-02-2002, 12:15 AM
good movie?

MaximusGTR
01-08-2003, 05:44 AM
Where are they now

Polygon
01-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by HemiGeorge
good movie?

Well, yes and no. There was only thing I liked in the 90s remake. There is a line that a cop uses. They are headed out to chase the guy in the Challenger and the cop heads to his house and says, you can't catch a Dodge with a Ford, you catch a Dodge with a Dodge and opens up the garage to see this awesome 69 Charger RT. Subsequently both cars were destroyed and the rest of the movie sucked.

The original was much better but they destroyed the 1970 Challenger RT/SE that was in the movie by running it into a paqir of bulldozers, that part of the movie was bad. It seems they are always destroying nice Mopars in movies, much of why I don't care too much for the movie Bullitt, especially since that Charger was SOOO detuned for the Stang to keep up. I was just glad that in Gone in 60 Seconds they destroyed the Mustang for once!!!!

Well, enough of my rambling.

Terrafirma
07-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Im in awe of the black barracuda elephant engine. Thats what they were called when they came out off the assembly line in 68, the elephant engine, because every time they went up to the starting line, and go to launch, their front end would come up off the ground, mimiking a elephant going on its hind legs, that and ford already had the horse lineup of cars. But wow that car is gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as the 68 hemi dart i saw at a car show in van. Oh wow, i have never seen a car such as that one, stripped down to the bare needs, the windows were held up by straps, they were either up or down, no in between, the interior, or what was left of it after it came off the line was still mint, the 2 front seats were still amazing, and there was no rear bench Because this was a drag only car. And it was a factory car too. Too bad Emissions control has killed the big block, but it will be comming back soon, 2005 the dodge hemosphear comes out, and its a mid engine rear wheel drive big block sports car, a big fat 426 hemi power plant with 425 hp will be snorting its way around the streets yet again.

arthur12187
07-23-2003, 10:03 PM
ya i saw like the last 10-15 minutes of vanishing point. i cant believe they " shot " the charger!!!!!! and y did the cops throw there badges after the car blew up?? anyone know:confused: :confused:

Super60Shelby
08-23-2003, 12:40 AM
The original movie with Kowolski's 70 Challenger RT was not destroyed,it was a 1968 Camaro,this was mentioned in a Car Craft magazine article from the 1980's I might still have, and also I have the film and have seen it many times,and you can clearly see it is not a Challenger,for those of us who have owned Challengers I knew this at the end,and was happy about it :)

They might have done this,due to a chance at a second follow up movie or becuase a plain jane Camaro was more common and a better choice to destroy :)

If you guys want to see a terrible destruction of a 1968 Charger watch the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen,where the two thugs are run off the road by Steve and his stang into a gas pumping station.

The road chases thru SF is the best chase sceen ever IMO.

here are the clips from VP and Bullitt,look for yourself.
If you slow it down you can clearly see the taillights are NOT across the full length of the back valence,it is only small tailights like that of a 68 or 67 Camaro,that and the hood is flat not like the RT's double intakes and raised mid section.

Sorry to be so rentative about it,but I cant let people think they destroyed this pristine 70 R/T and all the nightmares you all would have ;)

http://www.vanishingpointcar.com/videoclips.html

petereggy
10-22-2003, 10:42 PM
they used a 68 camaro in the bulldozer scene because they ran out of all their other dodges...which is good for us charger lovers

69WiLdcaT
12-27-2003, 06:16 PM
ok guys... that was a movie.... in all truth you MOPAR fans, your cars are overrated... it took a 440 to make 375 horse and it took GM a 396 to make the same... don't get me wrong a challenger is a beautiful car, but i would rather have a Buick... of course Buick's the only place to go if you want Hemi-killing power!!! > : )

test
01-04-2004, 05:16 PM
ok guys... that was a movie.... in all truth you MOPAR fans, your cars are overrated... it took a 440 to make 375 horse and it took GM a 396 to make the same... don't get me wrong a challenger is a beautiful car, but i would rather have a Buick... of course Buick's the only place to go if you want Hemi-killing power!!! > : )

Lemme see how your Pubic...I mean buick rates along side my puny little 440. MORON :disappoin

Hypsi87
01-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Lemme see how your Pubic...I mean buick rates along side my puny little 440. MORON :disappoin

Do your homework.... a buick GS 455 stage 1 is what he is talking about. They are Hemi killers. A 440 is not exactly puny

Junkman1
02-08-2004, 05:13 PM
And what DOMINATED the drags in the 60's and 70's-----> MOPAR not PEW-ICK ,all in fun,I like 'em all,just my 1st love was Mother Mopar,and still is,always will be.

slantsixness
04-27-2004, 08:01 AM
ok, so here's my two cents:
start talking about muscle cars (I mean real ones) and you turn up all these GM and Ford Anal-retentive Penis- envious types.:smokin:

Get a life. If you didn't already know Mopar's were the greatest muscle cars of all time, you wouldn't be here snoopin' now, would ya...?:evillol:

What is a Buick Moderator...? The guy who explains why he spewed oil all the way down the 1/4 mile and ruined the track for a whole day? Or the guy who makes excuses for why Buick sounds like what you do after a long night of drinking?:screwy:

Get a Mopar or go home now. :)
He He He!
Slantsixness

BleedDodge
04-28-2004, 06:54 PM
That rules!

BleedDodge
04-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Coming back to this topic, I believe what slantsixness last said was the coolest thing. Ever funny!

Ouacaze
05-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi .
I had seen Bullit . I had heard and read that the car exploded in the gas station . And wen i saw the movie I was scared of seeing this disaster. But you don't see the car crashs in the gas station , the station exploses, but that's all , hehe . I think the charger leaves the road , there's the boom, and you see a dust cloud passing far between 2 buildings .

BleedDodge
05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I saw the movie too.

Ouacaze
05-13-2004, 07:43 AM
And ? :)

BleedDodge
05-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Pretty cool huh.

Ouacaze
05-13-2004, 10:17 PM
hehe :p

slantsixness
05-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Boy aren't we talkative here.... a whole second page of one line comments.

Anybody ever see the movie with the tractor trailer and the valiant? I think it was actually one of Stephen King's first movies....

Anyway, this guy in the valiant pisses off the truck driver, and the rest of the movie is the truck driver trying to kill the guy and his valiant....
It was fun, because my dad actually had the same color Valiant in '71, aside from that, the movie sucked.

In other Mopar related movies, how 'bout " The Wraith". It sucked really bad too, but then there were some fairly cool turbo cars....

And another, You DO know what the Blues Mobile was, don't you?....

Center a movie around ANY car(s), and the movie pretty much sucks.

The charger in "Fast and Furious" was the only car in the movie worth keeping, and the only one purposely destroyed. Why is that?

Ah, this is fun...

BleedDodge
05-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Not "Trucks" or "Maximum Overdrive"?

There was an older movie, it was about this truck that chased this guy around, but I don't think Stephen King made it.

"It" with Tim Curry is my favorite all time movie. That movie rules. Pennywise is a badass clown.

slantsixness
05-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately, my wife hates "IT". I liked the book, but she won't let me buy or watch the movie. that sux.

The movie from the '70's about the valiant and the truck was supposedly when he (S K) was still in college?
I'm unenthusiatically looking for more info (yawn...).

Tim Curry is cool in a lot of Movies. With the possible exception of "Rocky Horror".

Bo408
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Polygon]The black car was a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
That was one of my fave DOHs :iceslolan :grinno: :biggrin: QUOTE]
:lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

xs29l
08-07-2004, 07:38 PM
You know what really counts is quarter mile times. How about road tests of every make and model from 66 through 73. I have around 100 old magazines that I picked up for just this purpose. The fact is that Mopar ruled in almost every category (all but gas milage). When you look at gear ratios, NOTHING ever outran a hemi Mopar. I have it in black and white. It's funny, they left out the hemi e body in EVERY comparison (I wonder why). Many of these road tests put 340s against big blocks, and (mostly) won! If anyone would like this information, I'd be glad to e-mail it.
XS29L

BleedDodge
08-07-2004, 07:42 PM
If anyone would like this information, I'd be glad to e-mail it.
XS29L
I wouldn't mind seeing that. dodge440sixpack@hotmail.com

Thanks.

BleedDodge
08-09-2004, 07:23 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/155239carlife-med.JPG

XS29L sent me this. The file size limit is 80k here, and I got this to 79.6k! You'll have to save the picture, and zoom in on the numbers yourself. This is a whole scanner area image.

I'm going to put this in the Muscle Car general discussion forums too.

xs29l
08-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks man!

GMP440
09-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I thought the Charger was a 68'. I'll have to look at the movie again. I thought I recalled the 2 sets of round rear taillights and round side marker lights on that car.

fredjacksonsan
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, my wife hates "IT". I liked the book, but she won't let me buy or watch the movie. that sux.

The movie from the '70's about the valiant and the truck was supposedly when he (S K) was still in college?
I'm unenthusiatically looking for more info (yawn...).

Tim Curry is cool in a lot of Movies. With the possible exception of "Rocky Horror".

You're thinking of "Duel" with the trucker chasing the Valiant down the mountain.

And I believe the Bluesmobile was a 1974 Dodge Monaco.

Add your comment to this topic!