Page updated on 11-19-2017

99 cougar power loss??

jakegday
01-29-2005, 09:17 PM
hello, im not quite sure how to word this problem so ill do my best, the problem is noticed mostly with the lights (interior and exterior, like headlights, dome light, instrument panel lights etc) and the heater/AC fan, the fan (no matter what speed its on) the fan will be runnig, and then slow down (lose power) and speed back up again, with the lights, they almost flicker, they get dim and bright, it happens very fast, like they will get bright and dim back down all in the same second, its not like theyre dim one minute and the brighten up a half hour later, the car has a new battery, and the problem existed with the old battery too, also it does not matter if your idleing or revving it up or slowing down or speeding up, it does it the same no matter what the RPM's are, its a 2.5 liter v6 engine, if you have ANY questions or need ANY more information, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, i will be more then happy to answer any questions that help diagnose this problem

BlazinCougar
02-07-2005, 10:48 PM
jake,
had the same prob with my 2000. its the fuel injector. they had a recall on all of the 99-03 cougars fuel injector. take it to the ford dealers and they should replace it for free. let me know when u get it checked out

jakegday
02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
the fuel injector huh, i know there was a recall on the fuel pump, i had that taken care of but that didnt phase the problem at all, i will look into the fuel injector recall though thanks for your input

BlazinCougar
02-08-2005, 06:09 PM
the fuel pump was my first thought too then later i found out it was the injector. good luck with that

beyondloadedSE
02-08-2005, 06:56 PM
i dont think a bad fuel injector is going to cause the lights to flicker, dim, etc. A power loss would certainly be noticable, but it would idle and run really rough, almost as if your running on 5 cylinders. It sounds more like an electrical problem to me. Your alternator could be on its way out. Perhaps trying checking the voltage with a voltmeter. Btw, do you have the stock pulleys on your car? Smaller pulleys have been know to cause the lights to dim at idle.

jakegday
02-09-2005, 10:07 PM
the fuel pump was my first thought too then later i found out it was the injector. good luck with that

nope, EVERYTHING is stock

dafeesh
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
i had this problem too,
until recently a new alternator and battery has seemed to fix this problem. Latley, ocasionally it just doesn't want to start. Tomorrow I am taking her in to ford to have then inspect for the misrouted battery cable recall. This site lists a bunch of the recalls and their symptoms:

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/100016465/section/all/type/

Sounds like recall 01V031

hope this can help some people out

Add your comment to this topic!