Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 wont start

civicguy99
01-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I had the ignition switch replaced and used the truck 1 or 2 times since,
now it wont start. Could it be something they done or is it possible that by chance something else is causing the problem. In the past had problems in cold weather when running, different things stopped working , heater fan, turnsignal if brakes applied etc. all of this happened only at night . I thought maybe the alternator any suggestions on that one also. Also i cant remember if you continue to try starting the truck without success does gas get into the oil. any help appreciated.

FORDTRACMAN
01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
civicguy99
We need more info.You say it won't start---Does it crank over with starter--Is the battery good[and charged]If it cranks are you getting spark/fuel?
Many questions.With that info one of us will be better able to diagnose.
Please report back.

civicguy99
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
civicguy99
We need more info.You say it won't start---Does it crank over with starter--Is the battery good[and charged]If it cranks are you getting spark/fuel?
Many questions.With that info one of us will be better able to diagnose.
Please report back.

Sorry i should have posted more, it cranks over and almost starts but doesn't, after trying starting it you can smell gas (flooded), i have charged the battery but will try again. civicguy99 is my son ,wont allow me my own identity with same email address.

FORDTRACMAN
01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
civicguy99
You must check fuel and spark.If we don't know these things we are only guessing and wasting time-yours and ours.
Someone else may have a better answer.
Info-info-report back

civicguy99
02-01-2005, 07:29 PM
civicguy99
You must check fuel and spark.If we don't know these things we are only guessing and wasting time-yours and ours.
Someone else may have a better answer.
Info-info-report back

Im very sorry i dont want to waste your time as for me thats okay,
Im a female who is only trying to save myself some money or prevent being taken advantage of. If you have the time could you please tell me how to check for spark etc, If special tools are required please do not waste your time on that question and you might answer this question for me: can a faulty starter make the engine appear to turn over but not catch. Before the ignition switch was repaired the truck started
with no problems. .After reading one of your suggestions about bypassing the ignition and neutral switch im going to try that, if it starts then the repair was not done right

w8crz
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
My suggestion would be if someone else did the ignition switch I would go back to them and tell them what its doing. Sounds like they may have not gotton something hooked all the way back up. Just a shot in the dark but you might hit a homerun. Good Luck

FORDTRACMAN
02-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Gas will get into the oil.
Probably not a good idea for you to check spark,as it should be done with a helper.
w8crz gave good advice.
I commend you for trying.

civicguy99
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Gas will get into the oil.
Probably not a good idea for you to check spark,as it should be done with a helper.
w8crz gave good advice.
I commend you for trying.

Thankyou, well i got it started, recharged the battery with my new xmas present on slow charge for 24hrs and away she went, now if i could bother you for one more question relating to gas in the oil. I have been looking on the net for this imformation and cant find anything. In cold weather on no start and repeated trying does the gas enter the oil requiring a oil change? Thankyou to all of you who tried to help it was appreciated, nice to know you can find help or suggestions

FORDTRACMAN
02-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Yes, gas will get into the oil.How much?Anyone's guess.I would change oil and filter.
Congratulations.Now tell us what you did to get it started.What you found?Was it ignition switch,neutral safety switch?
Again congrats.Please report back.

civicguy99
02-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, gas will get into the oil.How much?Anyone's guess.I would change oil and filter.
Congratulations.Now tell us what you did to get it started.What you found?Was it ignition switch,neutral safety switch?
Again congrats.Please report back.

When i charged the battery the first time i used our old standy charger,
My brother bought me a new one for xmas and i thought i would try and charge the battery once again with the new one. I let it charge overnight and part of day and went out and to my surprise it turned over on the first attempt. Our old charger showed the battery as being
very low. I guess the moral of this story is check your tools and equipment to make sure they are in good working order. I got it started, i haven't tried since but if it does not i am replacing the battery.
If i have any other problems related to this i will post back, thanks again these forums are great for getting imformation and help, keep up the great job.(civicguys mom)

FORDTRACMAN
02-03-2005, 02:07 PM
civicguysmom
I think you have earned your own screen name.
Glad you got it figured out.
Happy motoring

Add your comment to this topic!