Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering noises

intrigued00
01-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Quick Question: Since it has gotten colder outside, usually below 32 degrees, my powersteering has been making a grinding or rubbing noise only when i turn it to the left. It is also only when pulling into a parking spot or turning when i am going slower. While driving normal and making a left turn i don't hear any noise. Do you think this is the dreaded rack problem. I have a 2000 and dealer told me this problem was fixed in 99 so i should be good. The steering never tightens up or anything and like i said it seems to only do it when it is cold outside, almost sounds like it is in the steering column, thanks for the info and advise

Burnout524
01-29-2005, 08:13 AM
It may either be the bearings or the CV joints. This sounds a lot like the problem we had with our '87 Camry. I think the mechanic said something like there is water or road gunk getting into the front axle and when you take the corner, thats what's causing the sound.

I forget exactly since it was a while back and I can't fill you in on how any repairs went because we decided to live with it and we traded it in soon after.

Laser17
01-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Its been a steady 15 degrees outside here, and every morning if i haven't warmed up the car when i got to back out of the driveway i notice the steering wheel is a little tight, be it loosens up in a few seconds, i have a 98, i have no idea whether or not the racket problem was fixed by the previous owners or not, but he steering control and the handling is fine

canatto
01-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Well I don't have that problem with my 2000 Stering Edition though it's been -10F in the morning lately here in Canada, I'd take a look at the power steering fluid and see if it's clean and top it up to the correct level if needed. I'd say I will first check the fluid whenever any hydraulic system presents a condition that's low temperature related, and go from there. Because fluids tend to change their physical properties over temperatures, like viscosity and "pumpability". Plus, checking and topping up are easy.

Jawsolife
01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Let's not forget the "snow snot" factor.

If you have been driving in any snow, it will build up on the underside of the front-end of the car as well as in the wheel wells.

This can also cause noises like this to occur.

Add your comment to this topic!