Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Removing crankshaft bolt on 3.2L

Edn
01-28-2005, 11:34 PM
I am having a hard time removing the crankshaft bolt. I am using a strap wrench on the pulley but it slips. I'm also wondering if the bolt is treaded requiring me to turn it in the opposite direction from normal? Does anyone have any hints on keeping the pulley from turning or other suggestions on getting the bolt off? Thanks.

amigo-2k
01-29-2005, 02:20 AM
1995 rodeo

rodeo02
01-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Edn, There is two ways to do it. 1) (best way) Clear the radiator, etc.. out of the way & attack it with an impact gun, or 2) Stick a long breaker bar on it, rest the bar against the frame & just BUMP the starter. This will back the bolt out in short order. Loosen the bolt the opposite way the pulley rotates.
G/luck
Joel

steveb_92rodeo
01-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Another method I've used is pull #1 spark plug out, take a long piece of good rope, and feed the rope in the cylinder until no more will go in.

Turn the crank until the piston compresses the rope, and the rope will act as a stop.

I must say that I like the starter idea though...wish I had of thought of that when I needed it!

Steve

Cat Fuzz
01-29-2005, 10:29 AM
That sounds dangerous to me, Steveb. If you don't have it where both valves are closed, you could break one or both of them.

I think I was able to unbolt and lift my radiator just enough, without unhooking coolant lines, to get an impact in there. The breaker bar thing works good, too. Just make sure its on something SOLID when you bump the starter. Also, how are you going to get it tightened up again?

steveb_92rodeo
01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
That sounds dangerous to me, Steveb. If you don't have it where both valves are closed, you could break one or both of them.

I think I was able to unbolt and lift my radiator just enough, without unhooking coolant lines, to get an impact in there. The breaker bar thing works good, too. Just make sure its on something SOLID when you bump the starter. Also, how are you going to get it tightened up again?

Agreed, it's not the best method, but in the circumstances I was in at that particular time, it had to be done that way. Just made sure it was below TDC on the compression stroke.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of a compressor and impact tools (I do, but don't have my own garage to use it in and it's a nusiance to pull it out all the time so I rarely use it), but it was just a "what I did in a particular instance".

I also agree that the air and bur-burp gun is the most effective method. If you still want to use the strap-wrench, I've found it helpful to put a little angled rubber where the strap meets the handle to give it some grip. An eraser will suit for this, or cut a decent size chunk off an old rubber mat and roll it up...flip it over to the other side in the same manner when tightening.

Steve

Edn
01-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Tried the breaker bar/starter method - worked like a charm! Great advise. And, Man, it felt good to get that &$#@$ thing off.

Edn, There is two ways to do it. 1) (best way) Clear the radiator, etc.. out of the way & attack it with an impact gun, or 2) Stick a long breaker bar on it, rest the bar against the frame & just BUMP the starter. This will back the bolt out in short order. Loosen the bolt the opposite way the pulley rotates.
G/luck
Joel

txmodelmaker
10-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Holy shit! a genius idea....after losing most of the skin off the top of my hands i found this page and tried the breakerbar/starter idea and it was loose in 1/2 a second. THANK YOU!!!!

surferfletch
10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
It is super easy with the starter method. I learned about it AFTER using a pipe wrench/extension pipe and breaker bar/extension pipe combo with 2 sets of hands. The feeling is almost like...well, very satisfying...when the bolt finally breaks free.

Tom01Rodeo
10-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Also, I've found on crankshaft bolts its easier if its heated with a propane torch. It loosens the locktite. Had to do this on my 1.5L Honda since I can't use the breaker bar as the engine turns the wrong direction :(

redbug
10-23-2006, 06:32 AM
I would be carefull heating up the crankshaft, you may burn or distort one of the seals causing bigger problems... I've always found that hitting the bolt with a hammer (without peening the end of the bolt) will jar it a little bit helping the process... However, not on the 95 rodeo, not enough room to swing the hammer. Also, I always hit the breaker bar handle with a hammer to loosen tough bolts... The force you get with a hammer is far far greater than the force you will get with your hands...

Tom01Rodeo
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Well I'm not saying to get it glowing red, just a little heat from a propane torch. I doubt it would get hot enough to do damage.

Add your comment to this topic!