Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Cavalier won't start in high humidity

Kinner
01-28-2005, 04:02 PM
My 94 Cavalier has decided not to start if it is very humid or raining outside. The engine turns over fine, but it takes up to a few hours of intermittent cranking to get it going (have to use a battery boost after awhile...). It seems like it's thinking about starting (kind of sputters at times) then it just turns over like it has no fuel (I've taken out the spark plugs the first time it happened and they were moist with gas). Once the vehicle starts, it idles rough for a few minutes and then idles fine (it's probably flooded from me slamming my foot to the floorboard on the accelerator - that's the only way it seems to start in this scenario).
Temperature doesn't seem to be a variable, as it happened a few times last fall when it was raining and again twice this week with the snow melting (I live in Alberta). The last time it occured I was able to push it into a warm garage, opened the hood and it started fine 3 hours later on the first twist of the key (after all the condensation was gone from the car). I'm assuming it's something electrical, but I'm getting mixed advice from co-workers (they're firefighters, not mechanics...) as to whether it electrical or fuel related.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

(I couldn't find anything similar on the other postings)

noshun
01-28-2005, 10:08 PM
My 94 Cavalier has decided not to start if it is very humid or raining outside. The engine turns over fine, but it takes up to a few hours of intermittent cranking to get it going (have to use a battery boost after awhile...). It seems like it's thinking about starting (kind of sputters at times) then it just turns over like it has no fuel (I've taken out the spark plugs the first time it happened and they were moist with gas). Once the vehicle starts, it idles rough for a few minutes and then idles fine (it's probably flooded from me slamming my foot to the floorboard on the accelerator - that's the only way it seems to start in this scenario).
Temperature doesn't seem to be a variable, as it happened a few times last fall when it was raining and again twice this week with the snow melting (I live in Alberta). The last time it occured I was able to push it into a warm garage, opened the hood and it started fine 3 hours later on the first twist of the key (after all the condensation was gone from the car). I'm assuming it's something electrical, but I'm getting mixed advice from co-workers (they're firefighters, not mechanics...) as to whether it electrical or fuel related.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

(I couldn't find anything similar on the other postings)

Ok I'd say you have some condenstion somewhere. Try spraying as many electrical connections as you can with a water dispersant such as WD40 and then see if that makes a difference. This is the only thing I can see it being!

Add your comment to this topic!