Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camry V6 1997

seawja
01-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I really need help!

THis is Camry V6 1997 110,000. I am only here in USA by myself and I don't know any good mechanic. so please help!

I took my car to first mechanic because I thought power steering leak. I saw couple of drips on the drive way. He told me that there are leaks all over and I need to replace:

P/s rack, P/s pump, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal.. total cost is $950-1000
and he said all belts are craked!....$700 to fix

I checked service record from previous owner. He did the timing belt at 85,000 mile, but I don't think replace water pump and other things.

I took my car to second mechanic. He said that P/S is not a big deal, but he think something might be leaking under timing belt. He suggest me to change valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, timing belt+ other bets + water pump + start plug for about $900

I am so confused and really need help.

Thank you very much.

Brian R.
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Here's my opinion - Figure out the source of the oil leak. If it is the timing cover area, put up with the leak from there until it is time to replace the timing belt again. Then replace what the second mechanic said to replace, except for the valve cover gasket.

If the leak is coming from the valve cover gasket and not the timing cover area, then forget the rest and just replace the valve cover gasket. Before you do, torque down the bolts that seal the valve cover gasket and see if that solves the problem. It is possible the bolts have vibrated loose or the gasket has shrunk.

burchard
01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I really need help!

THis is Camry V6 1997 110,000. I am only here in USA by myself and I don't know any good mechanic. so please help!

I took my car to first mechanic because I thought power steering leak. I saw couple of drips on the drive way. He told me that there are leaks all over and I need to replace:

P/s rack, P/s pump, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal.. total cost is $950-1000
and he said all belts are craked!....$700 to fix

I checked service record from previous owner. He did the timing belt at 85,000 mile, but I don't think replace water pump and other things.

I took my car to second mechanic. He said that P/S is not a big deal, but he think something might be leaking under timing belt. He suggest me to change valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, timing belt+ other bets + water pump + start plug for about $900

I am so confused and really need help.

Thank you very much.
This is what I would do. If the t. belt was changed at 85 k, next T. belt change is due, the earliest, at 140-150 K. That's a good opportunity to change crank and cam seals. Meanwhile, change your oil, if you are in an area where it does not get too cold use 10W30 and add to the oil an additive to stop oil leaks. Keep checking the oil level and add oil whenever is necessary. That will keep your $$ in your pocket longer and you might postpone the T belt job.

My camry has 200 K and I have never changed the water pump. I'll probably do it in my next (third) T belt change at 260-270 K.

Regarding P/S get a 60 c syringe or anything that allows you to suck as much s/p fluid from the reservoir and replace your p/s fluid and add one of those p/s leak stoppers (lukas or whatever).

Good luck

rum runner
01-29-2005, 05:24 AM
You can also put a cap full of DOT 3 brake fluid in the power steering pump. That will swell up the gaskets.

Cap full=small amount, dont put too much, tablespoon approx

mkverel
02-09-2005, 08:50 PM
My camry has 200 K and I have never changed the water pump. I'll probably do it in my next (third) T belt change at 260-270 K.

Hi burchard,

At what milage did you do the first timing belt change on your Camry?

Here is my story: I drive 1997 Camry V6 and the milage is about 78K. I know I've to change the timing belt but haven't made up my mind just yet...

burchard
02-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi burchard,

At what milage did you do the first timing belt change on your Camry?

Here is my story: I drive 1997 Camry V6 and the milage is about 78K. I know I've to change the timing belt but haven't made up my mind just yet...
First TB at 80 K miles (man. Rec. is 60), second TB at 160 K. I never had alook at the replaced TB to chek what happns after 80 K.

mkverel
02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
First TB at 80 K miles (man. Rec. is 60), second TB at 160 K. I never had alook at the replaced TB to chek what happns after 80 K.

burchard,

Thank you so much... I spoke to a mechanic and he gave me a quote for the TB change of $600. Does it seem excessive or sounds ok? I'm in NYC so the prices may fluctuate.

Thanks

Brian R.
02-10-2005, 01:25 PM
You can get an estimate of the cost you can expect by selecting your car and the maintenance interval from the following site:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?tid=edmunds.a.landing.feature.. 4.*

burchard
02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
You can get an estimate of the cost you can expect by selecting your car and the maintenance interval from the following site:
http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?tid=edmunds.a.landing.feature.. 4.*
Just the TB?? ,In Montreal, in the dealer CD 299. He might bechanging a couple of belts, pulley and seals (optimist)

Brian R.
02-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Normally, they replace the accessory belts and the water pump along with the timing belt. Not too bad if that's the case. Get a written estimate with all the details and then make a decision.

Add your comment to this topic!