Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

more engine noise from my system

shaun1982
01-28-2005, 06:13 AM
i got a problem, on my civic, i have a 1000watt (i think thats 500 rms) and a 400watt rms sub, i also have 2 speakers connected to the amp, now my lights go dim, and there is a clicking noise in the engine bay, and when i press any of the electronic buttons such as the electric windows or sunrook or even if i press my brake pedal, the sound gets louder, then lowers after i stop pressing any buttons,

i know that my battery is not enough to run the system, but is there any way i can help this problem without buying a battery / nothing expensive.

the ground wire on my amp is not as thick as the power cable, if i get a thinker cable, will it help, and i heard all these stuff about using more ground wires on the engine bay, can some one help me on that, more info and is yes it can help my car, where does the extra ground wires go to, i heard i can use on the engine cover, etc.

please any help.

95cord
01-28-2005, 08:08 AM
usually if you are getting engine noise through your speakers it is the ground. what gauge wire is the ground? what do you have it grounded to?

LittleGSEclipse
01-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Engine noise being heard through the speakers usually means that you have your RCA wires too close to your power wire and your rca's are picking up the signal from the power wire and since your rca's are what carry the "music" they are also projecting engine noise. 8 out of 10 times when your rca's pick up a "dirty" signal like that you will usually have to junk them and get new rca's.

As far as the battery goes. If you cannot afford to get a new battery at least pick up a 1 or 2 farad power cap. That should help with the issue. But if you have already beat up your battery you will probobly need new battery soon. When you do buy a battery buy an optima yellow or red top. I like the red over the yellow. But both will work the same. The yellow is more geared toward systems but the red has more cold cranking amps & cranking amp.

shaun1982
01-28-2005, 08:53 PM
sorry i didnt explain properly. my battery is like 3 months old. and when i mean engine noise, i can here is from the engine bay, when i use the electric windows while the system is on, the sound in the engine bay gets louder.

but today, i checked my ground wire for my amp, its so small, compared to the power cable. so i replaced it with a very thick speaker wire, and i shortened the length of the ground wire. cause the wire has 2 more length worth of cable rolled up. STUPID!!!, so i cut it to the shortes possible and now, there is no engine noise.

gunnmen01
01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
a bad ground can cause so many problems... im glad you got it fixed easy enough...

gunnmen01

CocaColaEatsPie
01-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Be careful, running too much power on stock charging system is bad news. You will enentually burn out your battery and worse your alternator. The wires under the hood that you are talking about is called the big 3 and that will help you alot. It'd be a good Idea to do that and hopefully save your alternator.

shaun1982
01-29-2005, 08:25 AM
does any one ha pic on where do i put it on my 5th gen civic vtec d16.

what, can i just use thick speaker wire and connect each end with those connections with a circle at the end.

i need pics of where to connect to and from.

thanks guys

GScivic7
01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Big 3 is an easy upgrade. Replace your battery ground, valve cover ground and alt to positive post on your battery with 4 guage wire. When you do the alt to battery make sure to fuse it.

shaun1982
01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
i'll probably do the first 2. so with the battery ground, is it safe to just remove the ground fromthe battery and replace it. and also with the valve cover ground, the ground isnt actually on the valve compared to the b16 engines, its connnected to some thing on the bottom right of the valve cover. some black metal thingy.

when i look at the ground wire of the valve cover and battery ground, the wires ate very thick. can i just use very think power wire.

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!