Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Passport Won't Start

pyrusane
01-28-2005, 03:26 AM
My wife's Passport won't start. This started yesterday at work, her battery terminals were caked in corrosion, I cleaned the posts and terminals and tightened them up, car started and she drove it home, today same problem, replaced the battery and terminals. When I turn the key it sounds like it is trying to turn over, and it has started a couple of times, but it only stays on for a few seconds then dies again. Most times it won't even start. Any ideas? Jumpstarting it makes no difference, battery is fully charged. And it is an automatic.

rodeo02
01-28-2005, 05:34 AM
I would double check your ground connections & consider changing out the battery cables. I have seen older cables corrode internally & cause the concern you are having.
G/luck
Joel

steveb_92rodeo
01-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Also, you might want to check for proper spark at the spark plugs, and watch the fuel injectors as the vehicle is 'cranking'. If there is no fuel coming out of the injectors, it's a fuel delivery problem that will have to be addressed.

Many of us have gone through the fuel delivery issues, so if you see no fuel coming out (when the no-start is prevelant), post back and we can give you some suggestions.

Steve

Screwtape
01-28-2005, 11:47 AM
This is what 2eye would suggest,
"once again sounds like the old EGR valve, it can cause this concern without illuminating the check engine light"

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154168

I-HATE-CHEVY
02-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I have a 97 rodeo, did simaler things, but when I tried to start it it would just a clicking noise. If this is what you are getting, then it's the starter. Common problem on these vehicles.

If not, then read on. someone else can help.

2eyefishclaw
02-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I am tyhinking something other than egr on this one
remove the ground wire on the alternator bracket clean it with a wire brush also try to clean the bracket where it mounts put it back together dont be a gorilla with the bolt that holds the ground in place for it is not very long it does screw into aluminum and will strip out easy (let us know if this helps)

pyrusane
02-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, thanks for all of the suggetions folks. I'm not sure if I explained the problem very well, and it has since changed anyway. Now the car will start, but as soon as it starts it stalls out, literally within seconds. Tried some fuel injector cleaner and that is what got me to this point, but no better. Any ideas?

amigo-2k
02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Intake manafold gasket or this:

http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq22

iskiuskiweski
02-04-2005, 07:54 AM
I was going to say maybe a bad fuel filter.:2cents:

Screwtape
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
glad to have you back 2eye!!

2eyefishclaw
02-05-2005, 02:15 AM