Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LED Wiring

BigFig15
01-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Last Night I put in these 2 little LED lights from my local Peterbilt dealer. Picked them up for 10 bucks a peice and they work pretty good. My original plan was to pull the fog light fuse light out stick the wires in and stick the fuse back in so the wires would stay. But when I pull the fuse out with the wires in, the LEDs light up but when I put the fuse back in the LEDs shut off and the Fog Lights turn on. Why is this doing this and where else can I wire this so everything to work. Im looking for a spot near the dash hopefully in the fuse panel

Chazman
01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Just a guess, but a LED requires more than 0.7 volts to work, and electron's will take the path of least resistance.

I would try running a seperate circuit - don't forget a resister if its not built in.

BigFig15
01-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Where would i hook this up? There is only 3 little bulbs in this little box. its kind of shaped like an home plate with the pointed end cut off. Can I stick wires in a fuse box and pinch them with a fuse. Is it possilbe to out a bigger fuse in a #10 fuse??

Chazman
01-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Try putting the positive lead in the fuse, and ground the negative lead.

twista
01-31-2005, 11:30 AM
first what year
second if your car is 00 or up I think I dont excatly know what years but all the new ones have 12 volts running through the fuse panels at all times. u need a good power source um, do not put it to the fuses under the hood. put it to one of the small fuses with a toggle switch

BigFig15
02-01-2005, 12:44 AM
its a 2003 GT. Isnt it bad to stick wires in a fuse panel and pinch the wires in it with a fuse? Thats what I heard after I put the things in

catback23
02-01-2005, 08:06 AM
its a 2003 GT. Isnt it bad to stick wires in a fuse panel and pinch the wires in it with a fuse? Thats what I heard after I put the things in

Yea they say it's bad because it alters the electrical system of the car and because of the change other things may f*ck up. They say that about every thing installed post factory now. Sticking the wires in the fuse slot on the panel is a dirty way of adding accessories but it'll work none the less. The only real drawback is if the wire is too large a gauge the contacts in the panel may be widened to the point where they won't make good contact with just the fuse if the wire were to be taken out. Live n Learn, the reason the led's go out when you put the fuse back in the panel for the fog lights is LED's require anywhere from 0.7-2.8 volts with 0.7 volts being the standard. Your fog lights are using so many amps on too small a supply that when you try to tap in your LED's there's not enough voltage left to run your LED's. Try to tap a fuse that feeds alot of small amp draw things.

Add your comment to this topic!