Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 firebird help

tender
01-27-2005, 02:03 PM
i have a 86 firebird with a 2.8 v6 and a 5speed transmission... ok before everyone jumps me and tells me to get a real car LOL.. this is my baby my first car i have ever owned and i'm not really into raceing her or etc.. i just love my car and i know most would never conseder her a muscle car and 99% of the time i will agree... with that said ...this is my problem maybe you all could help me out...

i was driving her one day and i went to shift from 3 to 4th and i heard a big knock and then some grinding... so i took her home.. the next time i was forced to drive her the grinding had stopped but now once she has been running for a while she doesnt want to go into first gear... and when i think she is in first gear she doesnt move like she is in nuteral ... does any one know what i am talking about? and if so what is it so i can fix it???

thank you all for your time ...

always
tender

MrPbody
01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Probably broke 1st gear in the transmission. Only removal and inspection can say for sure.

zsracing
02-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, one of my good friends has a 1986 firebird, and I asked abaout it. He said the last time he drove it, it ran great... but it has been sitting for about 2 years.... so im sure it would be a beast to start. At first he said 600 bucks... then i spoke with his dad, and he said that it had a little over 100k on it, but it did run good the last time it was driven. He said he would go with me to check it out, and try to get it running. He said he would sell it to me for 50-100 bux, lol. I figured for that it must not work, but I looked at it and it looks pretty good for being a 19 year old car. I have'nt go to test it out yet, but do you guys think it would be worth it. (this would be my first car) ... and the reason why I am so interested in it, is that I only have about 300 bucks... because my parents will not let me work during weekdays; concequently, I only get about 40-60 bux for working on the weekends up at albertsons. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I figured for that cheap it must be a POS... but it looks nice... so maybye it will run nice. Heheh.

Any suggestions for getting it started? I was gonna put about 10 bux of gas in it to try to start it, because it might of had gas in it when it was last driven... so the octane would be gone by now... and it would need quite a bit of gas to remix w/ that old crap... unless u know how i could drain it. As far as the oil is concerned... i'll check it out... I really wanna get it started first... before i start putting money it in... for oil, and transmission fluid... etc... Anywho... if by some miracle it does happen to run, I think changing the plugs, distributor cap, plug wires, the fluids, air, and oil filters all should be a good start.

As I said before, I have never had my own car before, or worked on one for that matter, but I am definitely willing to learn. I wouldnt consider myself too dumb. I'm pretty good w/ computers, and make webpages for various companies... build and program robots, race 1/8 r/c nitro, etc.... so I think I could learn how to work on cars. Anyways if u have any suggestions or would like to help me out. Post back, or email me at:

zsracing@gmail.com, zmstark@yahoo.com or zack@zsracing.com

My Instant Messenger Handles are:
Yahoo - homielxpro
MSN - zmstark@yahoo.com
AIM - zsrcracing
ICQ - 207259169

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!