Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Klunking noise when shifting from park to drive

mckenzi
01-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I have 1 1995 Gmc Jimmy 4x4 automatic just bought 2 days ago. It consistently makes a loud klunk noise when I shift from Park into drive, but makes no noise at all shifting from park into reverse, sounds like it is beneath the center of the vehicle,or driver's side. It also has the loud whining sound that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum, it only makes the whine above 55 mph, will try those suggestions but was concerned about this klunk, I checked transmission fluid and it was full.

Mckenzi

troubles789
01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Check your torsion bar mounts. One on each side. If one goes bad, replace the pair.

BlazerLT
01-27-2005, 02:09 PM
U-joints.

Have them inspected.

Probably the rear u-joint right in front of the rear differential.

Had the same problem and that is what fixed it two weeks ago.

Sputnik13
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
BlazerLT, what are you telling mckenzi to check the U-joint for? The klunk or the whining sound? I get a similar klunk sometimes from my car but not the whining sound. I do sometimes get a scratchy/whiny sound when I have either my AC or heat on. It seems to kind of lessen when I'm breaking but then it starts up again when I'm stopped. It's weird, and it doesn't happen so frequently that I can really describe it accurately.

BlazerLT
01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
The clunk and the whining could be from a dry and worn out U-joint.

Also, best to check the transfer case and differential fluid levels and have the fluid changed if it has never been done.

mckenzi
01-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I have 1 1995 Gmc Jimmy 4x4 automatic just bought 2 days ago. It consistently makes a loud klunk noise when I shift from Park into drive, but makes no noise at all shifting from park into reverse, sounds like it is beneath the center of the vehicle,or driver's side. It also has the loud whining sound that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum, it only makes the whine above 55 mph, will try those suggestions but was concerned about this klunk, I checked transmission fluid and it was full.

Mckenzi
The torsion bars looked ok, I will try the U joints next and differential fluid, purchased used not sure whether it has been checked. I really want to get rid of this whine, it worries me because it is always there, I have nothing but highways around me so 55 is a contant and it starts at that speed. Called local GMC dealer today and found an open recall for ABS which I will have repaired Monday, they want $80.00 to disgnose other problems though. Thank you

BlazerLT
01-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Should be the U joint.

My rear U-joint has been replaced twice since new.

mckenzi
02-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks so much for all your help. I had the 95 Jimmy checked out yesterday at the dealer because there was a recall for something and they did say that both the front and rear u-joints were worn, I had them replace them for $325.00, too cold here to do it yourself, and the klunk upin shifting into drive is gone AND the whining at 55 and above is also gone, I am so relieved, killed two problems with one repair.

BlazerLT
02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Nice! Glad to have helped you.

Add your comment to this topic!