Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 brake issues

CCH1
01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
99 explorer brake issue: ABS light is on and system is not functioning. Left front and right rear pads have excessive wear. Any input on trouble shooting? master cylinder, wheel sensor any ideas or sugestions would be great.

saperich
01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Are the brake parts o.e.m. or
aftermaeket?

yotermanic
01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
As far as the ABS light, measure resistance across your rear speed sensor. I bet it's open...usually the spec is 800-3500 ohms. As for the brake wear, check caliper slides and for bindage.

CCH1
01-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Are the brake parts o.e.m. or
aftermaeket?

Brake pads are Bendix OEM. I think it may be in the ABS system as doen't the mastercylinder divide the system front & rear and the ABS divide diagonaly??

CCH1
01-28-2005, 10:54 AM
As far as the ABS light, measure resistance across your rear speed sensor. I bet it's open...usually the spec is 800-3500 ohms. As for the brake wear, check caliper slides and for bindage.

I am going to test the resistance today....it would be nice if that is it. Ford wanted $75 and half a day to check the codes.... The part is $18.
I think the problem with the really! excessive brake wear is coming from the ABS system. Am I wrong in that the master cylinder is divided into fron & rear but the ABS system works diagonally(left front/right rear & right front/left rear) I don't know this for fact, but thought that was it.

Thanks for the tip on the resistance...

BlitzKeg
01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
just a lil help....

your brakes are divided in 2 parts, front and back.
this is a safety feature, just incase your front leaks all the brake fluid you will still have brakes from the back and vis versa.
older cars have it left front and right rear divided from right front and left rear
now as for the abs light
-go for the easiest problem first.
worn brake pads will cause your abs light to go on, so like you said left front and right rear have wear, then chances are all four disc brakes need new pads.

fix your pads then if the light doesnt turn off go on from there..........

Add your comment to this topic!