Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 convertible 2.5L dohc timing belt install

Playto
01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
1996 Sebring Convertible 2.5L dohc timing belt problem.

I had to replace my water pump and screwed up. I didn't reinstall the timing belt tensioner correctly and my timing belt jumped. Now, I have to get the cams and the crank back into position and reinstall the belt. The problem is, I didn't make any marks on the crank gear or the cam gears. The Chilton's book says to line up the marks with the cover and I've found some small notches in the covers that I think they're talking about and there are a couple of small notches in the cam gears.

My first thought is that these notches (which seem to have a smudge of white paint on them, too) line up with the notches on the rear covers. Of course, when I rotate the cam, it rotates in jumps (three jumps to a full revolution, it seems). The front cam lines up just fine. But, when I rotate the rear cam, it seems to jump past this timing mark.

If you can tell me how I'm supposed to align these marks on the cam gears, please let me know. This problem is killin' me.

SebringYves
01-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Hello Playto_I can send you the service manual for the engine. There is a exactly discription with images how to do this and other tasks.
Need your email for sending this pdf document (4.12MB)
You can send me a private message, for not publicate your email adress

SebringYves
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
:comprage1
Sorry Playto_I checked my service manuals. The service manual for the sebring conv 96 I can send you just in german language - but also wit a lot of images (maybe it will help you a little bit - you can use online translater i.e google or altavista babelfish) the english chrysler service manual I have is just for 00-02 models with timing chain and not belt.

Playto
01-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks. I'll take any help I can get. You should be able to send me an e-mail just by clicking the word e-mail below my post. I'm also available on MSN messenger. Just click the little blue guy down there.

SebringYves
01-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I can't send you files via this email button here. Only text. And messanger I dont use. better idea?

Add your comment to this topic!