Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine washing

nova_gh
01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
I have a 99 GA SE with a very dirt engine, i would like to wash it down, how should i go about doing it, if at all? what kind of precautions should i take care of, that kind of stuff...

abaird
01-26-2005, 11:30 PM
power wash it. It all gets wet when you drive in the rain so it won't hurt it. when I do it I try to take it easy around electrical connections but thats just me.

Hoags
01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Pressure washing is the way to go, you can buy degreasers to spray on the engine. If you use a degreaser read the directions some want the engine warm to loosen the grease. Watch the wires and electrical components when washing. I usually run the engine after washing to get rid of some excess water then I wipe off the engine to get rid of any water that remains. After I clean my engine I use some vinyl/rubber dressing, I spray it all over the engine and wipe off all of the excess, it takes a while but it's worth it. The engine looks good and it helps to get all of the dirt and grease off the engine, helps the engine run cooler because the heat is not trapped by the dirt and grease.

jvmrn
01-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I have a 99 GA SE with a very dirt engine, i would like to wash it down, how should i go about doing it, if at all? what kind of precautions should i take care of, that kind of stuff...

power wash is the best way to go like everyone else said.....one of the main things is when your spraying it down make sure your car is running,, if its not you will have a hard time starting it.

Add your comment to this topic!