Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'94 Explorer electrical Q

T2bcristlk
01-26-2005, 08:44 PM
HELP?! Whenever I open/close a door, or turn the key, my 4 ways start flashing along with the dashboard lights. (EVen if the four way switch is OFF. I even tried pulling fuses and it still does this!) It lasts for about 10 seconds and then stops. At the same time this began, it won't start. The battery is not totally dead, and is only a year or so old. I still have enough in it to run the radio, power seats/windows/etc. I tried to jump start it but the battery will not take a charge.

I have NO prior problems with anything electrical and we have exhausted all the obvious "common sense" possilbe causes to no avail.

Single Mom on disabililty here in the COLD PA winter....any ideas or help would be sincerely appreciated! Thanks!

B33p3r
01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
First make sure all connections are clean and tight. Remove battery cables and clean the connections. Keep it disconnected for at least 10 minutes. This will reset all computer modules in the process. Reconnect and try again. If it doesn't work, borrow a battery from a friend long enough to connect it to your car(not jump...remove yours and put theirs in). If it starts and runs fine you know your battery is no good. Not unheard of no matter how old.
Let us know how you make out.
If your battery is bad you should probably get a free replacement for as long as you had it.

B33p3r
01-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Was thinking about this.....I'm wondering if there is something going on with antitheft system. Check owners manual and see what significance the flashers flashing have. I guessing your battery is actually not dead. I think anti theft is possibly preventing you from starting vehicle. Check it out.

T2bcristlk
01-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Hello and thanks for your QUICK reponse! I had already tried using another battery that I as certain was good, but had the same results. I KNOW the battery is NOT the issue because is shows that it still has "something left" on the dashboard gauge. I gleaned by process of elmination also that whatever was drawing to power the falshing of the lights had to be drawing directly from the battery. Since the battery would not take a charge and I had also already tried the cleaining of the terminals, etc. and disconnecting and reconnecting to no avail I came to the same conclusion as you; that some anti theft program from it's original days was for some reason "back to life".

So. I called the local Ford dealership who seemed to agree with my basic conclusion as well. They offered their services, but suggested I call the local repair shop I normally go to first, because it'd be a lot cheaper IF they had the equipment and knoweldge to diagnose and fix it. ( The dealership charges $71@hr....is that the going rate everywhere?)I was TRULY impressed that a dealership would turn away business to a small time shop. Don't you find that pretty impressive, too?

Anyway, I proceeded to call my local shop and they were honest enough (I have been a long time faithful, cash paying customer) to admit that they probably woudlnt' get to it right away, and that they did not in fact possess as much diagnositc equipment as the dealer.

The good news is that they DID suggest a shop which is a little further away ( an aditional 8 miles or so) that specializes in automotive electrical problems and repairs. I tracked down the number of that shop and gave them a call. The technician there agreed that it is probably some ancient anti theft program malfunctioning and after a brief conversation we scheduled to have the Explorer towed at 8 Am tomorrow morning.

So thank you again for taking the time to think on this and respond, I cannot tell you how good it was to read your words which confirmed my own conclusions and validated the steps I took. I asked God for wisdowm....and being the Faithful One that He is, it has all worked out so far so good. Now I will pray for the funds to finanace the towing and repair which I KNOW will be a chunk of money as all electrical repairs are known to be.

Thanks again and I'll try to remember to get back to you and let you know hwo it all turned out so you can use any info learned along the way to perhaps help yourself or someone else in dire straights in the future. God bless for taking the time to help me!

Add your comment to this topic!