Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

acceleration/sputtering issue 95 Rodeo

nmshooter
01-26-2005, 06:42 PM
HI all, 2nd time poster here. I posted about a year or so ago on a similar problem. Turned out that problem was an O2 Sensor that cost me nearly 700 to have fixed by the local Isuzu dealership. I have a 95.5 Isusu Rodeo 2wd.

Anyway, the new problem is kind of similar. I am having problems with acceleration. I will attempt to be as specific as possible. The problem started about a week ago. I dont have the money to throw it into the shop just yet and I need it to get to work (50 miles both ways). Im hoping you guys can tell me what you think it could be and that way I would have a better idea as to how to have it fixed. The local shop wants $140 just to hook it up to the diagnostic machine to see whats wrong with it. I was kind of hoping a tuneup would simply fix it. They want around $250 to do a tune up on it at Tires Plus and Firestone. I dont have alot of money to throw around here and there. Ive read similar posts on here with varied responses mentioning simple things that maybe even myself can do to fix it.

I am not mechanically inclined but if its simple, I can handle it. If it gets way complicated....Id rather pay a pro to do it.

Here are the symptoms of the problem.

At times the vehicle sputters...like its coughing.....more so going up hill. Other times, there is not a problem at all. Seems like it starts happening more after about 15-20 mph.

When it first started happening, it would only do it between 55-65 mph or going up hill.

While accelerating......the vehicle will start to sort of jerk, not a side to side jerk but more like when you are towing someone and then press the breaks...you kind of jerk. It will do this several times at high speed and continuously going uphill. Not big hills, but any incline at all with any distance to it. Say a mile long incline. Doesnt seem to do it at low speeds going uphill.

I also noticed that when it starts to do it....you can press the gas all they way down and it wont do anything.....RPMs dont go up, Rodeo loses speed etc. Other times, it runs fine for say......40 miles, then it will start all of a sudden when I hit some hill.

Around town, when I stop, it is fine. After a freeway trip, if I come to a stop, it sits there and coughs, like its gonna die, but never does. As soon as I press the gas, it starts out rough but then smooths out.

Some other problems that Im having which may or may not have anything to do with it is all of a sudden having electrical problems. They all started about the same time.
The lights in the dash on the left side went out about a week prior.
Then the passenger side headlight.
A week later started having these problems. While these problems have been going, the interior dome light has gone out....but only the one that works when you open the doors. The manual light still works fine.
The alarm that sounds when you open the driver door when the keys are still in the ignition stopped working.
The driver side headlight went out.
Also....when I start the vehicle all the lights come on...oil, service engine etc..... but with all the problems while driving......no lights have come on at all.

Autozone said they could hook it up to get the codes but they said without the engine light coming on.....there would be no codes.

I know its alot to digest but I really hope some of you will respond with some suggestions. You helped me last time....I sure hope you can this time.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Ramblin Fever
01-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Just a thought, but have you checked the voltage on your alternator/battery?

Also, these engines won't run right on just any alternator - they take good, clear voltage to run right. Any flaw in the system, and they will mishave badly!

FWIW - do NOT take your truck to ANY Firestone, Goodyear, Tiresplus, etc. these mechanics do NOT know or understand these engines very well, and do you more damage in the long run! Personal experience on this one, I can assure you.

Finding an Import mechanic will be the greatest thing!

nmshooter
01-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Just a thought, but have you checked the voltage on your alternator/battery?

Also, these engines won't run right on just any alternator - they take good, clear voltage to run right. Any flaw in the system, and they will mishave badly!

FWIW - do NOT take your truck to ANY Firestone, Goodyear, Tiresplus, etc. these mechanics do NOT know or understand these engines very well, and do you more damage in the long run! Personal experience on this one, I can assure you.

Finding an Import mechanic will be the greatest thing!
I havent checked those things. Im not really mechanically inclined. Taking it to the Isuzu dealership is extremely expensive. Im trying to get out of having to put too much money into this vehicle if I can avoid it.

Any other ideas on this problem......anyone?

Add your comment to this topic!