Page updated on 03-18-2018

96 dodge 1500 overheating

01-26-2005, 04:55 PM
i have a 1996 dodge ram 1500, 4x4, 318, automatic. i have had a problem with it overheating. i have replaced the waterpump, radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, all hoses and belts. and i still have a problem with it overheating. i have tried flushing it out but nothing seems to help. i have also done a compression test on each cyl and they are all about the same so i don't think it will be the head gasket but i might be wrong. this is my work truck so it is pretty much my life line. i have to figure out something to do to it to fix it. if anyone has a comment about my subject it will be a great help.

01-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Does the heat work? Maybe the heater core is plugged.

01-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Haynes manual says radiator cap not maintaining proper pressure.Possible broken fan blades or cracked.Radiator core blocked or radiator grille blocked.Or insufficient coolant in the system.From the looks of what you've replaced if this isn't it i'm at a loss.

01-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Probably the heater core. I have a 2001 and have the same problem. The problem i am running into now is getting the dash off. I have pulled all the screws and bolts out and still cant get it off. Any suggestions

01-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Try putting it on an incline, with the front end at least afoot higher than the rear. Let it run with the radiator cap off. You might have a bubble of air trapped in the system somewhere which is impeding the flow of coolant. I had this problem on a couple of different vehicles.

If this is the problem, once the veh gets up to operating temperature and the thermostat opens, you'll get a big bubble of air out of the radiator and the fluid level will go down. Keep the radiator topped off and run it for about 20-30 mins(depending on the outside air temperature).

01-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Oh yeah, and check the radiator cap, littlebit is right on on that one, your truck will overheat if the radiator isn't sealed.

01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
thanks for all the replys i have a new radatior cap. i will try the air pocket. so if the heater core is stoped up it will effect the temp. i can hear the coolent flowing through the heater core when i start it up in the mornings. that wight be the problem is there a way to check if it is stoped up?
also i thought that the heater core was just a line off of the main line to the engine i didn't think it would have any effect on it. thanks again i will look in to everything that all of you have said.

01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Heater core line is a separate hose, but if there's air in there it could reduce the flow to the rest of the engine, theoretically.

There was another post about hearing a gurgling through the heater core @ start up, so I'm betting that's what it is - air in the system.

Add your comment to this topic!