Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Grand Am TCC lockup

Qviper1
01-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, I seem to have the same TCC problem with my 91 Grand AM. Idles great but as soon as I put in gear, it's like popping the clutch on a standard dies instantly. I got the car from my mother and she had the problem 4 years earler a mechanic unplugged the TCC switch and it has run fine since. A friend of mine was helping me do a CV shaft and plugged the switch back in and I didn't make it 5 miles and dead on the road. I unplugged the stupid thing and still no go. My question is how do I relieve the preasure in the torque converter or release the lockup? isn't there a switch on the brake pedal as well that controls the TCC thru the ECM?

GTP Dad
01-26-2005, 05:38 AM
Pushing the brake pedal should cause the solenoid to release but it will only work if the solenoid is plugged in. You may have to replace the solenoid before you will get everything to work properly. It is also possible that you have bigger problems with the transmission in that it may have locked up and you will need to replace it. Usually an automatic will not lock up but if something broke internally that may be the case.

Qviper1
01-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks Moderator, I will plug the TCC switch onthe trans back in and try the brake pedal to reset/release the converter. I happen to me as I was slowing for a stop light and as soon as I got to about 10 mph it died and I roled to a stop. I hope it isn't a case of trans replacement, I think I will just get rid of the thing. It has 230k on it, looks like **** because it is afflicted with the peeling paint syndrome and the interior is shot. The only good thing about the car is it ran great and got decent gas milage. Again thanks and I will post the verdict as soon as I know.

Qviper1
01-26-2005, 09:26 PM
GTP Dad, I took your advise and it worked like a champ. The car gets to stay ;O) It is my daily driver out to the AF Base roughly 15 miles per day so the loss in gas mileage is negligible. Thanks for the help I hope I can return the favor some day. This auto form is probably the most efficient knowledge base I have ever used.

Slade901
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Just curious about that pushing the brake pedal to release the converter. I know you must reconnect the TCC switch back in first.

Does the engine must be running while in Park and press the brake pedal and then turn off the engine and then disconnect the TCC switch?

OR

Do you just push the brake pedal and then disconnect the TCC switch and you are good to go?

OR

Do you turn the ignition switch to ON position (engine not running) and then push the brake pedal and then turn off the ignition switch and disconnect the TCC switch?

Add your comment to this topic!