Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel sender and ecm reset?

Volkswagon
01-25-2005, 10:38 PM
how much do they charge to do this? I may need to have this done after completly changing my Fuel pump/sender assembly. It still does not work correctly.

amigo-2k
01-25-2005, 11:20 PM
did you purchase a new fuel pump with sending unit or did you pick up a used one?

Volkswagon
01-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Used fuel pump assembly but was it tested on the bench. I transferred the new sending unit from the previous fix attempt onto this assembly.

At the begining it was the gas gauge that was not reading accuratly. So I replaced the sending unit and the gauge worked fine, but now the fuel pump does not work when the engine is hot, I jumpered the hot lead to the pump and the pump starts, only when its cool, when its hot jumpering will not energize the pump??? why?

I tested this recent installation by letting the car run till it gets hot. I finally am able to duplicate the problem, and I jumper it with a hot lead, the pump did not come on and I was giving it 12 volts!

Does the ecm not allow the fuel pump to ground so even if I give it 12 volts the pump will not energize.

After the car cools,it starts right up. And I can hear the fuel pump wirr up like it supposed to. When its hot, it does not make that sound.

Do u think I have a fuel pressure regulator problem?

Volkswagon
01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
bump

amigo-2k
01-26-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq22

It might be. Looks like the part costs about 50 bucks from Isuzu. Might be worth a shot.

Volkswagon
01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
I think its a loose wire honestly, where is the ground for this thing?

amigo-2k
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks to SOLSTER for the image (which won't be up much longer)

http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo-manual/manual2.gif

It is a bit blurry but in the center of the photo it shows the ground listed as under the center consel.

good luck!

-Ryan

Volkswagon
01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
So you remove the center consol? I have an automatic.

amigo-2k
01-26-2005, 03:21 PM
yup. lift up the arm rest and there are 1 or 2 screws in the bottom of the compartment that attaches the back half of the consel.

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Well that looks ok, I put everything back together and the car so far has started without incident, Although I don't hear the pump spinning up everytime I turn the key to the "on" position.

Now I get a CEL conditon that I will have to check out. Maybe all the connections are working now?

PS seems making sure the wiring makes good contact helps a lot.

Bigpoppax2
01-27-2005, 08:10 AM
The dealer cost of a reset of the ecm for purposes of fixing the installed fuel sending unit is just under 100 bucks. I still can't see why this is necessary, but some have had to do it.

Joe

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 08:14 AM
It seems ok, now I need to see about that CEL?

Bigpoppax2
01-27-2005, 08:24 AM
That's normal to not hear the pump run every time you turn the key to the one position. You will only hear it if the pressure in the lines has dropped to the point it needs to pressurize them again.

Like it's been off for a while or sat overnight....

Joe

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
The error I get is P 0452 EVAP control system PSI low, or small leak detected? will this go away? It seems it will not interfere with the vehicle performance...

How do you reset this SUV? neg terminal off for a few minutes? I had them both disconnected for quite a while and that did not seem to clear it, I'll try again.

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks again Joe seems all is good, except for that cel thing ^^^

amigo-2k
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
if you have an AutoZone in your area they will read the codes for free.

There is a TSB out on the evap leak, and I posted on itog.com where there was an offer of getting TSB info for free, but nothing has planned out from it. I just bumped it to the top at their page.

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
ok, I did get it read from AutoZone, but she would not reset it for me :(

P 0452 error

That link you provided did not work?
?

megavolt121
01-27-2005, 04:19 PM
The dealer cost of a reset of the ecm for purposes of fixing the installed fuel sending unit is just under 100 bucks. I still can't see why this is necessary, but some have had to do it.

Joe

I had to get the dealership to reporgram my PCM. The new FSU sends a different signal to the PCM than the original one did, and the dealer was the only one that could reprogram it.

Volkswagon
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Could that result in the car not starting or just a faulty fuel gauge reading?

Thanks

rzvgy0
06-17-2006, 03:18 AM
I had to get the dealership to reporgram my PCM. The new FSU sends a different signal to the PCM than the original one did, and the dealer was the only one that could reprogram it.

how much did the dealer charge you? I just scheduled to have my ABS module fix on the recall. Also change the FSU and still the fuel gauge not reading correctly. Figure to have the dealer reprogram the ECM/PCM while they are fixing the recall problem on the ABS.

Add your comment to this topic!