Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 88 Royale - Door's armrest broken

byurko
01-25-2005, 07:42 PM
The driver's side armrest on my 88 is broken - The front of it hangs loosely - VERY ANNOYING! I want to fab up a bracket to hold it back on, but I can't figure out how to get it off.... There are a couple screws by the seatbelt and a couple behind the reflector, but can't seem to find any others - Any suggestions??

BTW, I just put 16" wheels from a 96 Cadillac Deville - Looks great! I also installed a 97-01 GM Delco CD player - Made a big difference. I just had to make a couple brackets for mounting and my stock harness plugged right in.

Let me know if you want more info... Would be happy to help!

Bryan

Hansnet
01-25-2005, 08:52 PM
lets see the caddy rims on this car if you have a pic.

for the armrest you need to first remove the power window/power seat/mirror panel. use a flat head screwdriver, insert into the rear of the panel, and pry up. There should be a little place for it there.

There are 2 or 3 large screws in there. The rest of the door is held on by a bunch of tabs which you should get a tool for or just be very careful not to break them. (the tabs are plastic and hold the door on the perimeter.)

Just get that power window panel off.

byurko
01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks! I got it! I'll get some picks up by this weekend... I paid $125 plus $75 shipping on eBay. Ended up getting Yokohama Avid Tourings 215/60 16 for $69 mounted/balanced from Discount Tire.

Looking at doing struts next - Front/backt... Any suggestions? I've replaced them on my BMW's so shouldn't be too difficult.

Bryan

back2life
01-26-2005, 09:29 PM
make sure you get the alignment redone afterwards or it will eat you tires alive!

Hansnet
01-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks! I got it! I'll get some picks up by this weekend... I paid $125 plus $75 shipping on eBay. Ended up getting Yokohama Avid Tourings 215/60 16 for $69 mounted/balanced from Discount Tire.

Looking at doing struts next - Front/backt... Any suggestions? I've replaced them on my BMW's so shouldn't be too difficult.

Bryan

as the other guy said you need an alignment first thing if you are doing it yourself. i mean dont drive anywhere but the nearest shop.

http://www.williamwren.com/struts/ELC.html
that is an article for struts with the ELC system but it should be close and has good general information for these cars.

You should consider adding an upper strut bar and beef up the endlinks on the lower sway bars. Also a rear sway bar would help out a great deal on the handling side. If you really want to beef it up go with a F41 suspension drop (92-95 Bonneville SSEi or SSE) with the new springs, endlinks and sway bars from a junk yard.

Add your comment to this topic!