Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Explorer Front end noise

Scota4570
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
When turning the steering wheel at low speeds, or going over bumps, there is a creaking noise that comes from the front end. Sounds like dry metal on metal under heavy pressure. A shop took front end compontents apart and greased them. Other parts were replaced. It fixed it for a while but the noise came back. He explained that the front end parts are sealed and can not be greased via zerks. Shouldn't sealed compontents last more than 10K miles? I do occasionally drive it across fresh water, maybe 1-foot deep. Could that be damaging something, it is supposed to be suitable for off road use, no? Is there some inate problem with front end I should be aware of?

Rmasters3
02-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I had a Ford product where a front subframe bolted to the body. One or two of these star headed shaped bolts would work loose-maybe 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Sounded like the entire front end was grinding and maybe going to fall off. Nothing more that tightening those fasteners fixed it (after $500 chasing other problems).

dxrflyboy
02-20-2005, 09:23 AM
The suspension components have boots designed to keep water from splashing onto them and causing damage, but they aren't sealed against being submerged in water. Since the OEM parts don't have zerks, the parts have to be disassembled and lubed after water intrusion. Many aftermarket components have zerks, but the cheaper ones have boots that don't seal well at all. Motorcraft now markets suspension components with zerks and quality boots that seal well. You may have to special order them, since many dealers only stock the OEM Ford parts. Moog parts are usually superior quality, but it's a good idea to look at the piece before you buy it. With the zerks, you can force any contamination out of the joints with fresh grease after you drive through water.

Scota4570
02-22-2005, 05:55 PM
"but they aren't sealed against being submerged in water. Since the OEM parts don't have zerks, the parts have to be disassembled and lubed after water intrusion. "

So I have a 4WD that can 't stand being driven in hub deep water? If so that is the worst wanna-be I have ever owned. I know it is only a casual off road vehicle. I have a '70 land crusiser for the real stuff. This Ford is just ridiculious! What is the point of 4WD if the thing is only good on the street?

secobra
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I have had that same problem on some older junk I had, generally I could see where the creaking was coming from since there was a rust colored dust in the area of the problem. Not all the time, but may be something worth looking for.

dxrflyboy
03-05-2005, 02:29 PM
"but they aren't sealed against being submerged in water. Since the OEM parts don't have zerks, the parts have to be disassembled and lubed after water intrusion. "

So I have a 4WD that can 't stand being driven in hub deep water? If so that is the worst wanna-be I have ever owned. I know it is only a casual off road vehicle. I have a '70 land crusiser for the real stuff. This Ford is just ridiculious! What is the point of 4WD if the thing is only good on the street?

Built Ford Tough...what can I say?

Add your comment to this topic!