4x4 low: rear wheel not spinning

trucku
01-25-2005, 02:01 AM
I put my truck into 4x4 Low to pull out of a snow bank. I noticed snow getting kicked up only by my front tires and I was not moving. I opened my door and hung out while I gassed it and noticed that my drivers side rear wheel was not turning. Is this normal? I ended puting the truck in AUTO and the truck pulled out without any problems. It felt like all the wheels were turning in auto mode. I thought all the wheels get locked and spin at the same time when you select 4x4 High and Low.

Thanks
V

saperich
01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I have never taken my 2000xlt out
of auto....works just fine. 102000miles.
Taped up the switch, so no one mistakenly
hits it.

trucku
01-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes Auto worked for me too. But I was asking if all the wheels get locked when you select 4x4 Low. My rear driver side wheel was Not turning. I saw the front tires kick up snow. I want to know if there is a problem with my locking hubs in selected mode( high or low)..Not in auto. If ALL the wheels are not supposed to lock then that explains it. I would appreciate any advice.

yotermanic
01-27-2005, 06:44 PM
If you don't have a locking differential, or limited slip, the wheel with the least resistance (the one in the snow bank) will be the only wheel spinning, regarless of whether the vehicle is in four by or two wheel drive. Some Explorers didn't have limited slip.

trucku
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks yotermanic.

Do you know if it is difficcult to convert my standard rear to a limited differential? 2002 xls 4.0 4x4b

trucku
01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
How can I tell if I have locking differntials. I thougth if you have 4x4, when you select a mode all the wheels get locked....thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!