Page updated on 08-19-2018

Cold starting 1995 850 manual

Keepitgoing
01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I have had a problem starting the car when the temperature is below minus 10 Celcius. When I twist the key the engine will fire, go to 2000rpm then immediately drop back to 0rpm. Movement of the gas pedal has no effect. After several similar attempts there is a loud chattering sound from either the engine bay or below the instruments, that I believe is a relay. At the next attempt the engine usually fires and settles down to a normal idle. Looking through the Haynes manual I believe the problem could be the overload relay. Any advise would be appreciated including where this relay is located.

iluvmevolvo
11-16-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a 93 Volvo 850 and it is very tempermental during cold weather. The car will start fine and run for about 3 seconds but afterward it will die. It normally takes about 10 to 20 trys to get the car started and keep it running.

A peculiar noise happens right before it starts to run when it is cold. A mild/medium buzzing sound is noted to come from what appears to the lower left side of the dashboard.

As soon as the buzzing sound is heard the car will start and run as if there is no problem.

Any suggestion on what might be the cause of this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

ILUVMEVOLVO

850wagon
10-23-2006, 10:39 PM
I have a 93 Volvo 850 and it is very tempermental during cold weather. The car will start fine and run for about 3 seconds but afterward it will die. It normally takes about 10 to 20 trys to get the car started and keep it running.

A peculiar noise happens right before it starts to run when it is cold. A mild/medium buzzing sound is noted to come from what appears to the lower left side of the dashboard.

As soon as the buzzing sound is heard the car will start and run as if there is no problem.

Any suggestion on what might be the cause of this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

ILUVMEVOLVO

I have a similar problem. On really cold days, there is a buzz (around the relay box - but it is hard to tell exactly sitting in the drivers seat) when I turn the key to on position. The car cranks but does not turn over. On slightly warmer days, there buzz is not there and the car starts and runs beautifullly. On cold (intermediate days), sometimes the car starts after a few tries. Any updates on what the buzzing noise and how to fix it?
Thanks

TheMan5952
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry to say I've never heard a buzzing noise when trying to start my 850. If you want I'll ask on another board or you can try for help there. http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum They might have encountered this more there.

Add your comment to this topic!