1999 Silverado Tailgate won't close (latch)

fred123
01-24-2005, 08:12 PM
I recently bought a 1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4 and noticed that the tailgate won't properly latch. You have to slam it pretty hard and then it still feels loose. You can also pull on it and it will open up. I was driving down the road the other day and it flew open.

I tried to open the latches on each side but couldn't really make heads or tails out of anything. It feels like the latches are not 'strong' enough to hold the tailgate..but I don't really know.

Does anyone have information on how to fix these things?

TaNK_Em
01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
It is probally your tailgate handel, Find out buy takeing the cover off of it and squeeseing the two wires together and see if it opens fine.

- Kevin

Chevy-SS
01-28-2005, 08:18 AM
If the handle assembly is working, then I would adjust the catch pins, located right above/beside the tail light housings. The catch pins can be moved in all directions.

Fireplug
01-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Gm tail gates have a known rust problem with the lift handle. Spray a ton of wd-40 in there and work the handle and the latch pins and see if that helps if not its time for a new tail gate lift handle latch

Cadillakin'98
01-30-2005, 04:25 PM
First advise is where I would start, that is check the cables. They wear out over time. The WD-40 thing wouldn't hurt either but you only need so much. Sprayin' the piss out of it would just be a waste of our ozone and your WD-40. All vehicles are subject to rust, it's the maintanance (cleaning) and conditions you put them through that can promote rust

lonelywolf8588
01-31-2005, 02:20 PM
A more perminant solutions to fixing the tailgate handle. GM put a nylon bushing between the butterflies on the handle. Burn it out. Torch the bushing and chip it out from between the butterflies. The nylon expands and contracts with the heat and cold and eventually wears into the metal and stops the butterflies from working properly. Doing this does not harm the handle unless you heat the metal and bend it by accident.

Xrrider280
02-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I had the same thing on my 93 when I bought it last summer. I took out the handle and sprayed it with WD-40 and brake parts cleaner and worked it loose. It has been fine ever since. Only now my sandbags I use for weight unfroze and broke through my tailgate destroying my hinges.:(

Add your comment to this topic!