Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Transmission Problems

jlhi
01-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi,

About a month ago I began hearing a low rumbling at speeds in excess of 50 mph--the noise seemed to be eminating from the transmission area. In additition, the tacometer inticated that the transmission was not shifing into overdrive--the engine seemed to be racing. Since then I have noticed the rumbling noise when beginning acceleration which then subsides after shifting occurs and I am "cruising"--so to speak. It's always there at higher speeds.

Three days ago when adding windshield wiper fluid I decided to check the coolant and found the coolant reservoir to be extremely low--I added coolant and afterward noticed the odor of coolant in the cab.

Today when I backed down my driveway I noticed that both transmission fluid and coolant had leaked onto the driveway. Once on the highway the truck began to shimmee at 55 mph. Also, the engine had to struggle to attain the 55 mph speed and almost seemed to have a non-functioning cylinder. On my return trip the symptoms just described were gone--the low rumble and coolant odor remain.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be happening here?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

John

westsidelake03
01-27-2005, 01:31 AM
First check the passenger floor board for any wetness. If their is wetness you have a leaky or bad heater core. If their is no wetness check all of the hoses and also check the bottom of the water pump for any leaks. On my truck the water pump went out and there was a small leak coming from the under side of the water pump. There is a small hole here where coolant can escape when the pump is going bad. I also had a crack in my radiator and had to replace the hoses. As for the transmission. That is a touchy situation. Check the fluid level first. If that is fine then i would probably try replacing the TPS(throttle position sensor). They don't cost much. If that didn't fix the problem i would go under the truck and unplug the wire that plugs into the top of the transmission. Drive it down the road and see if you are still having the problem. If the problem is gone i would take it to the transmission shop and get one of them to drive it. If it is still there then take it also. There is a good chance it is your Torque Converter. But it could be as simple as needing to flush out your transmission. Let me know, i check the board daily unlike others.

westsidelake03
01-27-2005, 01:34 AM
O yeah. Definitely check the radiator because transmission fluid does run into the radiator. It could be cracked or the lines could be damaged.

Add your comment to this topic!