Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Decals on chrome parts?

mickbench
01-24-2005, 09:28 AM
I applied ferrari decals to chrome wheels, and one of them has fallen off. I've no idea where it has gone, and I've not got any spare. The kit is a Modena 360 and I'm not best pleased, as I've now got the kit fully built apart from the body details.

It looks odd with one wheel badge missing. Anywhere I can buy a selection of round ferrari badge decals etc..? I rang Tamiya UK supplier /importer and they can get a new set of decals, but have none in stock at the moment, but I bet they charge a good whack for them.

Also, is this common for decals to just drop of chrome parts? I'm upset actually as I didn't do anything, and it's a shame, as I put a lot of work into this car. Oh well :disappoin

Vric
01-24-2005, 09:36 AM
yes decal have hard time to stick to chrome. you should use Micro Set to help the decals to stick.

mickbench
01-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Grrr..!! Wish I had known that.. Thanks for the reply. I now have some micro set. Should I brush some onto the existing wheels to stop the rest from floating of and never to be seen again?

Now, if anyone has some spare modena decals going, let me know. I'll buy them from you. Don't fancy buying a whole kit for "one" small decal.!!

Vric
01-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Well Microset should be aplied before the decal (as the instruction on the bottle say)

Microsol can be applied after. (I would brush a bit of microsol on it just to be sure)

Lurchio
01-24-2005, 09:49 AM
I did a similar thing yesterday - lost the streering wheel decal from my enzo - not impressed to say the least! Especially after my nightmare with the horrible c/f decals - I'm now investing in set/ sol (despite the lack of advice from so called experts round here!)

I've just ordered some laser printing decal sheets so I can create my own decals for new design/ missing decals!
Looking forward to trying them!

mickbench
01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Lurchio,

I know you might be frustrated, but some of the guys on here invest their own time advising us to become better and more educated. They do help, but I know you might be a little angry.

I'm not best pleased I lost "one" decal. If I had known they don't stick well to chrome I wouldn't have applied them without some setting solution.

But I didn't ask, and if I had I'm sure members from this board would have advised me NOT TO DO IT..!!

Good luck with printing your own. Let us know how it goes.!!

Vric
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Please, don't bash on a Tamiya kit (specialy 360 or Enzo) becose you don't use the right tool.

Don't blame the model becose you didn't know. There is always something to learn here.

Btw, losing a small decal isn't a big deal, most of us learned something much more terrific the hard way. But guess what, once you did a mistake, you will remember it the next time :D

mickbench
01-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Erm,

I wasn't bashing the model, or the tools etc.. I didn't think I was bashing Tamiya kits. How did that happen? I thought I was defending the members of this board..!!

OK I am mad I lost a small decal, but that's my fault for not using the correct methods.. Overall for my first build my 360 doesn't look "that" bad..

Lurchio
01-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Lurchio,

I know you might be frustrated, but some of the guys on here invest their own time advising us to become better and more educated. They do help, but I know you might be a little angry.

Good luck with printing your own. Let us know how it goes.!!

Thanks Mickbench, not really angry but more hungry for advice.
It's been about 15 years since my last model and I really want to learn more about what I can do!
I try to use the search feature but sometimes it's a million times quicker just to ask a quick question. It bugs me when 50 people have read your thread and not one has replied. Anyway - rant over.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these home made decals will come out like myself - will let you know!

Ferrari TR
01-24-2005, 11:07 AM
MediaMix stocks these from Acustition...
Ferrari decal (http://www.mediamixhobby.com.sg/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1516)
I just got a set, along with the matching PE set, but I've not had a chance to try them.
In the US it is easy to order directly from Tamiya...
I need a part and the metal transfers from the 360 coupe and it would'nt be a big deal to order a decal sheet as well.
:p

Scale-Master
01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Micro set or Micro sol, or any other decal solvent for that matter, will not really help adhesion. It will just soften the decal.
If you want decals to stick to chrome paint the area with clear gloss before applying it, of course let the clear dry before too.
Decals are made to go on painted surfaces, not raw plastic, that's why they don't stick to chrome or clear very well... - Mark

Dave_s99
02-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I applied ferrari decals to chrome wheels, and one of them has fallen off. ....

Just some thoughts on how to make you own :

1. Scan a picture of the decal or one of those you have left and print it on one of the CD label kits. You can then cut it out and stick it on.

2. If you can't find an image to scan, try dawing it, scanning it and then printing it.

3. Draw it with a pc and print it

4. Get some fine OHP(Overhead projector ) pens and draw it on a CD label kit, thin plastic film or even cellotape and stick that on.

Good luck

Vric
02-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Just some thoughts on how to make you own :

1. Scan a picture of the decal or one of those you have left and print it on one of the CD label kits. You can then cut it out and stick it on.

2. If you can't find an image to scan, try dawing it, scanning it and then printing it.

3. Draw it with a pc and print it

4. Get some fine OHP(Overhead projector ) pens and draw it on a CD label kit, thin plastic film or even cellotape and stick that on.

Good luck

It's an idea, but not quite professional. the CD label will be far too tick to look realistic.

Add your comment to this topic!