Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Grand Prix won't start, no lights, no horn, no radio

erniek70
01-24-2005, 06:12 AM
My wife's 1994 Grand Prix will not start. It has a brand new, fully charged battery. You cannot even here the solenoid click. The cables to the starter, are sending 12 V. Additionally, the horn no longer works, no lights (headlights, etc.) except for the dome lights. no radio, no gauges, no idiot lights, etc. She noticed a funny smell coming from the dash. Has something burned up inside the dash? I have checked all of the fuses that I can find (including the fusable link at the starter), and cannot find any problem. Resultantly, the car sits dead inour driveway. Please help!!

Rocketboy
01-28-2005, 01:10 PM
I recently had similar problems, although the cable was sending power, the other end was not delivering. This was also not allowing the charge from the alternator to get to the battery, so the battery was being drained.

In my case, I eventually lost all power which locked the key cylinder.

carnutcass
01-28-2005, 01:31 PM
"No horn, No lights, No radio.....Not a single luxury.....Like Robinson Carusso......."

Ohhh, sorry. Sounds like a battery cable issue to me.

kustomkid54
01-28-2005, 02:07 PM
And he reads too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/kustomkid54/cid_001101c4fa5793b0c1f05ed80404amd2000.jpg

"No horn, No lights, No radio.....Not a single luxury.....Like Robinson Carusso......."

Ohhh, sorry. Sounds like a battery cable issue to me.

erniek70
01-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I have checked...there is 12V at the starter, and alternator. However, the entire dash is dead. The keyswitch does nothing, yet the chime will activate with the keys in the ignition, and the door ajar, and the dome lights still wotk. I pulled the bulkhead connector at the "firewall", and many pins have 12V, but some don't.

martygunn
02-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I would start by testing everything electrical for example let me know if the headlights, taillights, turn signals etc. work.

If you have 12 volts at the alternator and starter then it is not your battery or battery cable. I thinking it is your ignition switch. You'll have to pull the steering wheel to look at the wiring that goes to it. Let me know though if any of the other electrical items are working and I'll try to narrow it down for you.

I have checked...there is 12V at the starter, and alternator. However, the entire dash is dead. The keyswitch does nothing, yet the chime will activate with the keys in the ignition, and the door ajar, and the dome lights still wotk. I pulled the bulkhead connector at the "firewall", and many pins have 12V, but some don't.

mladams
02-12-2005, 11:18 PM
sounds like a VATS problem to me, if you put the key in the ignition cylander and the theft light blinks you have VATS. Good news is you now know what it is, bad news is if it's bad it's hard to fix. I have been searching for that answer for a while because I have a friend who has the same car with the same problem. If you find an answer let me know cause right now we're in the same boat.

Add your comment to this topic!