Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for Recommendations

sabishii
01-24-2005, 12:53 AM
This isn't a "car X or car Y: which one should I get" type of post, for better or worse.

Well, right now I have a '95 Lexus LS400. It's a nice car - great interior, engine and overall quality - but I would like something sportier and maybe smaller in dimensions. However, I've been spoiled by the V8 engine, so I'm not quite sure about smaller engine cars. On the other hand, this IS my first car (lucky, aren't I) and I haven't tested many types of cars, so a fast 4 cylinder COULD be viable.

Anyways, I'm not looking for specific model suggestions more than I am for general ideas. Like a range of cars... For example, a welcomed response would be like "look at a Mustang or a car similar to it."

My budget is around $20k, which I may be able to push to $25k.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I can get some detailed (and educational!) comments. =)

Neutrino
01-24-2005, 01:47 AM
question are you looking only at new cars or will a used model do as well?

Also what characteristics are you looking forwards in a car: practical, road racing or drag racing abilities, luxury etc...?

sabishii
01-24-2005, 02:30 AM
New and used.

Practical, definitely.
Racing, maybe.
Luxury not a big deal, so I'd say somewhere middle-of-the-line.

Neutrino
01-24-2005, 03:11 AM
New and used.

Practical, definitely.
Racing, maybe.
Luxury not a big deal, so I'd say somewhere middle-of-the-line.

Used I would say an E36 M3, new an SRT4 would fit the bill for the most perfomance (20K range) but its not what i would call luxurious. A slightly used WRX (but still in warranty)might work too if you would like to trade some of the srt4's power for AWD and a better interior.

BTW none are V8s but the M3 has a very nice I6 and the others are turbo to make up for the displacement.

crayzayjay
01-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Yep. I'd go for an E36 M3 or a used E46 325i or 330i. All of those cars have a good amount of power (all inline sixes), handle well, are refined, nice interior, hold on to their value well... Can't go wrong with a 3-series.

nbw
01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
You would probly really enjoy a corvette but practicality kind of goes out the window...
So I am going to just have to agree with everyone else, wrx or m3 or maybe an srt-4 if you want a new car.

Andydg
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Yep. I'd go for an E36 M3 or a used E46 325i or 330i. All of those cars have a good amount of power (all inline sixes), handle well, are refined, nice interior, hold on to their value well... Can't go wrong with a 3-series.

This is probably a really dumb question...but what's the E46 and E36 mean???

NISSANSPDR
01-24-2005, 10:34 PM
This is probably a really dumb question...but what's the E46 and E36 mean???

I'll show you...this is an E46 Generation M3

http://wallpaper.net.au/wallpaper/automotive/BMW%20M3%201%20-%201024x768.jpg

This is a E36 Generation M3

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/bmw/bmw_m33.jpg

E46 is the current generation...the E36 is the previous generation

k3smostwanted
01-24-2005, 11:03 PM
-new i would consider a Scion TC... but it isnt as powerful as the SRT-4 but it can be for the money saved.

-i like the WRX idea...great car plus AWD for even more practicality than your average car.

-another car i would consider is an audi A4...i am considering one of these cars myself, but thats me. also, if you consider used audi's, you can get higher end audi's for your price range.

-another new car i like is the VW Jetta GLI, i just love that car and the styling for all around practical Daily Driver car. brand new, you can get one just over $20k.

Add your comment to this topic!