Procedure to Remove Electric Radiator Fan 2001 GC

bp1959
01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Ok guys just replaced my 2001 Grand Cherokee Radiator and now my fan has stopped working.

What is the procedure to remove the fan?

Is it an easy job?

Where is the best place to purchase a new fan assy.?

E-bay has them for like $100 and Autozone etc wants $250.00

My GARAGE WANTS $400.00 TO REPLACE IT.

It does not look to hard especially for $400

Thanks

Bryan

Dale Aeppli
01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Ok guys just replaced my 2001 Grand Cherokee Radiator and now my fan has stopped working.

What is the procedure to remove the fan?

Is it an easy job?

Where is the best place to purchase a new fan assy.?

E-bay has them for like $100 and Autozone etc wants $250.00

My GARAGE WANTS $400.00 TO REPLACE IT.

It does not look to hard especially for $400

Thanks

Bryan

HI, DON'T KNOW ABOUT GRANDS BUT ON CHEROKEE SPORT 4.0 2 SHEET METAL SCREWS UNPLUG LIFT OUT DALE :2cents:

bp1959
01-23-2005, 07:39 PM
HI, DON'T KNOW ABOUT GRANDS BUT ON CHEROKEE SPORT 4.0 2 SHEET METAL SCREWS UNPLUG LIFT OUT DALE :2cents:

It looks like it has screws or things that make it just snap on?
Anyone know

Bryan

xj31
01-23-2005, 07:53 PM
are you sure its the fan and not the relay?that relay is under the right headlightbehind the front fascia.its a little tough to get at.if you got the radiator out by yourself,you should be able to get the fan out

bp1959
01-23-2005, 08:03 PM
are you sure its the fan and not the relay?that relay is under the right headlightbehind the front fascia.its a little tough to get at.if you got the radiator out by yourself,you should be able to get the fan out

Well the fan comes on every now and then and I believe this what caused my Radiator to sprout leaks afterr it overheated.

No, I had to pay $563.00 for my local garage to replace the radiator. My Grand Cherokee has 115,000 miles so Im sure it need it.

Well when I went to pick it up they said the Fan willnot come on.
Well unless I am in traffic and it overheats I am ok driving it.
When I got home the fan was on but didnt seem to be full power.

I also recall it still ran after I turned the motor off as well which it does not.

Do I need to replace the entire fany assy.?

I just need some direction.The garage wants $400.00 to replace the fan

Bryan

xj31
01-23-2005, 08:07 PM
i would try the relay first.its pretty common for it to do exactly what you describe

bp1959
01-23-2005, 08:14 PM
i would try the relay first.its pretty common for it to do exactly what you describe

On a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0 where is it exactly?

THanks

Bryan

How much are they?

xj31
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
you have to loosen up the front bumper cover and partially remove it.the relay is under the right headlight.it doesnt look exact like a traditional relay.im not sure but i think its like $50-60

bp1959
01-23-2005, 08:26 PM
you have to loosen up the front bumper cover and partially remove it.the relay is under the right headlight.it doesnt look exact like a traditional relay.im not sure but i think its like $50-60

Passenger side? Loosen the bumper cover? Any other way to get it?
THe Mechanic also told me that they put juice to the fan and it still would not come on. But when I made it home 6 miles away it was running but seemed not to be at full power

Bryan

xj31
01-23-2005, 11:02 PM
well if they put power to the fan and it didnt work,then that would indicate a problem with the fan

bp1959
01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
well if they put power to the fan and it didnt work,then that would indicate a problem with the fan

So how does the fan come off? Do I disconnect it from the shroud?

Also went to Autozone they had the fan assy for $249, but the fan clutch assy was $103

What do I need?

Thanks

Bryan

Crescent Band
04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I bought an aftermarket replacement fan that claims to be complete for the year (2000) It still hasn't arrived yet. But from I have read from the postings I may be looking at a relay rather than a fan. The Stealership told me that it was the fan...but they WOULD do that. Hey its a more expensive fix. Meanwhile they relace the relay during the repair of the fan...and there ya go! SO I am checking out my fan by jumping off of the battery first. Even though I already have the fan coming. Replacement of the fan doesnt look like a walk in the park. The fan is bolted in from the radiator side. Although you can get to some of the bolts for the shroud there is one on the driverside bottom that may be a bit of a bitch. So Im testing the fan first sunny day. I hope its the relay.

Crescent Band
05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
So how does the fan come off? Do I disconnect it from the shroud?

Also went to Autozone they had the fan assy for $249, but the fan clutch assy was $103

What do I need?

Thanks

Bryan
Oops ..sorry about the previous post.
I was able to get an aftermarket for 150 bucks. I removed the shroud with a bunch of wrangling. The fan is attached to the shroud. If you wanna know where I got the fan drop me a line.

Add your comment to this topic!