Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 D150 pickup - no spark

mrgee
01-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I have an 88 Ram D-150 pickup with a 318 that turns over great but does not have any spark. I have replaced the coil and have checked the fuel pump. I was told that there may be a connection between fuel pressure and spark. I have also been told that it is the ballast resistor. However, I cannot locate this resistor. I don’t see it anywhere on the firewall, another thought it was on the passenger side fender well near the firewall, not there either. This truck has 232,000 miles and I have driven it the last 203,000. I have fixed and repaired most every other problem she has thrown at me. This time she has finally stumped me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

grey Dodge
02-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Hi Gary,I,m having the same problem with my 88' D-150,it ranfine 3 weeks ago,I only use it for dump runs but now just cranks changed the plugs,still no go,put a new fuel pump in 2003,Can you tell me if you resolved your problem? thanks,Mike

BleedDodge
02-05-2005, 06:09 PM
How far does the spark get? Does it come from the coil, or not even make it there?

Sounds like you haven't checked the distributor yet...

grey Dodge
02-07-2005, 08:13 AM
I was in process of checking coil with meterbut with no help. still not sure, cranked her agaih today still no luck .May be F'in fuse link or something.Yesterday I was offerred $700 for it,I hope the deal goes thru,I just want to get it off my hands!

mrgee
02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did wome investigating of my own and here's what I've found. More than likely if it has a throttle body, it does not have a ballast resistor. I didn't locate one on mine but looked relentlessly as I was told by many that it had to have one. Although, in the process I found the real problem with my truck... I found that one of the wires that comes out of the bottom of the distributor was chewed off by a mouse!!! As soon as I reconnected the wires, the truck started right up. I found that the fairly cheap repair manuals, you can by at Pep Boys or most any other parts store, will have most of what you will need to find out how to test the coil. Basically, it tells you to take the coil wire from the distributor and hold it about a 1/4 inch away from a ground screw. You should see a spark. If you can't get spark there then you will need a meter to figure out if the coil is being powered. Good luck and I'll try to keep an eye out for replies.

jsweeter
02-09-2005, 10:55 AM
an 88 has no ballist resistor. You may have to get new wires and plugs. Is the truck carb. or throttle body

mrgee
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Throttle body. I found a wire chewed through by a mouse! The truck is now running.

fredjacksonsan
02-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Throttle body. I found a wire chewed through by a mouse! The truck is now running.

Damn mice!!

Add your comment to this topic!