Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

filling up

swarfega
01-23-2005, 03:40 PM
ok i'm only a youngster!! i've only had my car 3 days!! hehe. when i'm filling up, the petrol pumps keeps clicking. takes ages just to put my fuel in. why is this? is it air trapped in the tank or something? thanks

Ridenour
01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
You may not be holding down the trigger hard enough. Or it could be the pump if you're using the same one all the time - but my guess is your not holding it down hard enough.

Next time you fill up, just get a death grip on that trigger and pull it and hold it all the way till it stops.

foureyedbuzzard
01-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the vapor recovery system on the pump you were at might be clogged or frozen. The vapor systems at the filling stations get clogged when people overfill their tanks and when enough water/vapor freezes inside the internal vapor hose in the fill hose. Was it cold where you were filling it up? Try a different pump or gas station.

Do you keep having to pull the trigger and it just keeps clicking off? If so try pulling the nozzle back just a tad. Also try tilting the nozzle slightly to find a position that works. Some cars just have lousy filler necks in the gas tank and are finicky to fill, they have to be filled on a slower setting - 1st notch on the pump handle keeper if it has one.

MagicRat
01-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Do you keep having to pull the trigger and it just keeps clicking off? If so try pulling the nozzle back just a tad. Also try tilting the nozzle slightly to find a position that works. Some cars just have lousy filler necks in the gas tank and are finicky to fill, they have to be filled on a slower setting - 1st notch on the pump handle keeper if it has one.
This is what I have to do with some of my cars.
Excellent suggestion!

I have had a couple of cars, like my '77 Lincoln and a '77 Jeep Wagoneer that both fill slowly, regardless of the nozzle position.

Add your comment to this topic!