Door stuck

andysm00th
01-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a 2002 Kia Rio (4 door) and the drivers side door is stuck shut. I am not able to open it from the inside or outside. Does anyone know how to get the inside door pannel off with the door closed? Any info on this would be great..

computerdude14
04-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I have a 2002 Kia Rio (4 door) and the drivers side door is stuck shut. I am not able to open it from the inside or outside. Does anyone know how to get the inside door pannel off with the door closed? Any info on this would be great..

That sounds like a very unfortunate problem for you. I am guessing that your Rio doesn't have power locks by chance, does it? because if it does, then im thinking that its possible that something jammed up in the locking mechanism in that door that might prevent the door from actually becomming fully unlocked, etc. however, if you only have the manual locks as im guessing you probably do, then i'd invest in a service manual for your car, such as a haynes manual or whatever brand of manual that you prefer. I promise you that you will be very thankful and glad that you bought one later on too, because that service manual tells you step by step how to basically tear your entire car apart and then rebuild it all again, not just the motor, but the entire car too. most of the haynes manuals are about $16 at most autozone stores, but dont quote me on that one. othe than that i donno what to tell ya, cuz most cars i've worked on have to have the door open in order to remove the inner panel. good luck!

mike

cbeck
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
no manuals available, less you buy the shop manual. They wouldn't help you with a stuck door anywho. If you take the handle off, you should be able to unlock it with the rod, and pull on the release rod witha pair of vice grips while trying to shove the door open. Otherwise, I'd recomend calling a locksmith.

The door panels are next to impossible to remove as far as I know if you can't open the door.

computerdude14
04-12-2005, 09:24 PM
no manuals available, less you buy the shop manual. They wouldn't help you with a stuck door anywho. If you take the handle off, you should be able to unlock it with the rod, and pull on the release rod witha pair of vice grips while trying to shove the door open. Otherwise, I'd recomend calling a locksmith.

The door panels are next to impossible to remove as far as I know if you can't open the door.

heh once again i seem to be the idiot. lol. at least someone else knows what they are talkin bout. sry if i gave ya any wrong info.

mike

cbeck
04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
ha. nah, i didn't know they didn't make any kia hanes mans. till I spent two days trying to find one.

I thought your advice otherwise was pretty sound. (I always seem to be an idiot. Dang proud of it. :D)

1low
04-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Unless you are very mechanicaly inclined , take it your dealer.
I've repaired dozens and they're still not easy
The latch is jammed pulling on the push rod won't help.
You can partially remove the door panel and bypass the latch to allow the door to open.

cbeck
04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm curious, how do you bypass the latch as you mentioned? I only ask because mine has been loose since I bought it and will be tackling this problem at some point myself.

(of course, i could repair while it still works, but really, that would be too easy :D)

fastkia
04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
1low and cbeck, I'm assuming 1low is a kia tech. I am too by the way. I found a way to get in them that is easier than the old way we used to do it by prying the door panel out of the way to see the latch. what I do know is I kept a handle rod and turned it into a tool that allows me to open them with a simple push. slide the rod down between the door panel and the window (window down) and push down on the piece just below the black plastic cover (in the direction the broken spring is suppose to pull) then just pull the lock up and your in. If you find it difficult or have any questions call me at Flo25 tech 384

crazymjb
05-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Getting power locks on a rio, that desperate. Its a piece of shit anyway. Blow the door off. While your at it, load the thing up with dog shit and drop it on one of those korean nuke plants with a sign requesting it to be fixed under its wonderful warrenty.

fastkia
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
crazyjmb needs to go
the guy don't even own a kia (cause he can't afford one) but yet can't stop talking about them. I think he wants one

twospirits
05-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Well I gave him enough time off for him to start saving up to get one.

TS out

fastkia
05-17-2005, 08:11 PM
that was a good one. Thank you by the way. I'm sure most people here thank you also

twospirits
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
No problem, thats what we are here for, to make sure the forums run smoothly and for your enjoyment. (Besides, I wasn't kidding (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=408720)).

TS out

dfwill
05-30-2005, 02:06 PM

I had the same problem with my 2001. I took it to a Kia dealership and let them handle it since the car was still under warranty. What they ended up doing was taking the drivers side seat out and taking the door panel off.

The service department did not charge me anything and I had my car back the next day.

fastkia
05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I can't beleive they took the seat out to take the panel off since they could've opened the door even with the panel on if they knew what they were doing. sorry I just find it crazy to hear your dealer did that.

queen b
03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
i have the same prob with my passager side back door. i locked it one day and it never opened again but i dont care u can still get in the other side and slide across. lol couldnt be bothered getting it fixed at this stage

rfbqwerty
03-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Easy method to open a stuck Kia Rio door. Full credit to 'fastkia' for explaining how to open a stuck lock but after opening my lock by his method I found an easier way to do the job. You need a piece of straight wire (clothes hanger is good) and make a 3/4 inch square bend on one end. Wind down the window & push a tapered (plastic) wedge between the glass and the inside rubber to get a gap to work through. Poke the wire down beside the glass and pull up on the lever that is operated by the outside door handle. This is not the wire from the door handle but is the lever the wire connects to in the lock. While the lever is held up by your hook you can now pull up the locking button. Remove the wire from the door and everything works and it can be opened and closed as often as you like but don't press the button or use the key lock or it will be stuck again. The lever is normally held up by a small spring that has a sharp bend at one end and the spring will ALWAYS break at this bend. I used the same spring with a 'new' loop made from a section of paper clip to replace the old loop. Better than the original. No cost and it took less than 30 minutes.

XGamesJ6
06-19-2006, 08:18 PM
i would first try and see if it is the lock, when u pull the lever do you feel it pull on something, because when its locked u know your pulling a rod, and nothing else, if u dont feel anything, lock issue, just try something, i would prolly get pissed and just push the lock up and down like crazy until something happened, but i dont know, i dont own a kia, but my friend does, and she loves it!

waikiyi
06-29-2007, 07:34 AM

I'm now having the same problem with my 2001 Rio and am sick of climbing through the passenger side. Doesn't make for good viewing. I'm currently an extremely poor student and don't think I'll be able to afford to pay the dealer to fix this problem. I don't understand exactly what I'm aiming for with the rod. Does this method work with central locking?

Also, how do I relock the car when I'm out and about? I don't have keyless entry, so I'd be forced to lock it by pressing the button or using the key - and here we go again! :shakehead

JM

schwar19
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
i just opened my door using rfbqwerty's method. I had it open in a few seconds. This occurred after the kia dealer told me that they would have to take out the seat to remove the door panel. Now, all I have to do is decide whether I want to take the time to remove the panel and fix the latch myself, or allow my mechanic to do it. While I can't lock the door until I do, at least I did not shell out the $180.00 labor plus the part to do this. And no, because my doors were not electrical, this was not covered under warranty. Hope this helps someone else save some money. Oh, and by the way, I'm female. Don't let those guys tell you can't fix stuff on cars!

schwar19
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
oh i forgot to mention that i have a kia rio cinco, 2002. :-) God bless the internet...

schwar19
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Followup... I did go ahead and buy the new latch from kia for $52 and installed it myself. All told, I spent about $80 on this problem and a few hours tinkering around with the old latch before I just decided to buy the new latch. I didn't want my temporary fix-it job to break in the middle of winter. However, when I took out the broken latch, I could better see the little spring that broke. If this happens again, I will try to just replace the wimpy little spring they used. I can see how a few cents more would have kept this latch from breaking. It's quite a shame, but at least I did not let kia fix this for the $200 plus they originally quoted me.

blueharleyguy
12-28-2008, 11:30 PM
My 2004 Kia Rio passanger side door will not release. I have pryed the door panel off and the mechanisms look to work the same as the working drivers door mechanism. Nothing I do releases the door. Once I get the door open, I will change the mechanism, but gotta get the door open. Any know a trick to getting the door open?

RahX
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Not to dig up an old thread but i've seen a LOT of the Kia latch screws come loose and jam into the body of the car and keep the latch from releasing. Simple method, pull the handle and give it a couple hard shoves. Sometimes you have to do it harder.

schwar19
03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
my kia rio cinco 2002 drivers car door is stuck too. the lock pulls up and down but the door handles inside and out do nothing. so, i'll see if taking off the door handle will work? would that be the inside or outside door handle? What about holding the door handle up on the outside and having someone kicking the door open from the inside? will that work?

schwar19
03-18-2009, 09:09 PM
well, the door is open. i had my roomie hold the handle up while i gave the door a good kick from the inside. it opened immediately. i then tightened the screws holding in the latch. they were loose and one had completely fallen out (there are three screws). mission accomplished. now i just have to buy a new screw and get some lock tight to make sure the screws don't come out again. hopefully, the latch (which I replaced last year) will be good for awhile. ;-)

MustangCSA
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I have the same problem with my kia rio. The passenger door will not open but the latch seems to be working right. If I unlock the door and try to open it with the handle it will open, maybe a centimeter, enough to turn the dome light on but will not open completely. I tried holding the handle open, both inside and outside, and kicking it from the inside like suggested but still no luck. How hard did you guys have to kick it? I cracked the door panel, and I'm afraid if I kick it any harder I might break the window. Any suggestions?

RahX
12-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I sit in the seat and shoulder it pretty good. I haven't had one that wouldn't open this way. I usually check the screws during an oil change since it only takes a minute with my electric drill.

vince2010
12-25-2009, 12:40 AM
The key and pulling up on the door lock would not unlock the door. The lock was stuck in the lock position. After pulling up on the door lock with a vise grip and turning the key without breaking the key and door lock the lock opened up while trying to lift up the door handle. The door managed to open.

I removed the door paneling. I removed 2 screws at the bottom and 1 on the front side. A false hole was removed on rear of the door panel to reveal another screw. The false hole behind the inside door handle(closes door) was removed and a screw removed. The screw holding the interior door open hanle was removed. With a flat screw driver the front of the door panel was wedged loose so my fingers could loosen up the yellow pressure plastic tabs so the bottom paneling could be loosened. The interior open door handle was carefully threaded threw the open hole. The door paneling was lifted out of the top window groove. If the door tab is broken, one can goto the auto store to buy an assorted variety. It is better to install this while the paneling is off.

The plastic sheet was cut to reveal the door regulator. Since springs are expensive in this area, a non-biodegradable rubber band was connected between a white plastic ring and to an attachment point near the inside exterior door handle. This was a temporary fix until I find an appropriate spring.

The plastic sheeting was repaired with clear storage tape. The door paneling has to be properly groved and the inside door open/lock properly threaded. A solvent which does not damage plastic was used to clean up any grease and paper to sop up the solvent was used.:runaround:

Good luck.

Ashes1982
03-20-2010, 04:41 PM
(this is my gf's car) and I was just able to get the door open...same problem as everyone else on this thread. a 2002 rio cinco. I was finally able to get the door to unlock and open after a large combination of jiggles on the inside/outside handle and lock with the key.....felt almost like a lil snap and the door finally unlocked completely and am able to open it.....i havent taken apart the door yet but it sounds like from reading this thread that she isnt the only one who had been crawlin in and out of her passanger side door while trying to avoid a $200 repair at a dealership....

RahX
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
The latch also has a crappy plastic lock setup. The lock moves a lever into and out of a position that moves the lever that unlatches the door. Being plastic it breaks after a few years and it becomes impossible to unlatch the door without removing the door panel and doing it manually.

trevor123
07-31-2010, 02:49 AM
thanks rfbqwerty- your method really helped me.

I managed to get the door open using wire with a bit of a hook, then i actually pushed down on the latch with the wire. At the same time, i lifted the door lock, then it opened.

Then i pulled out the locking mechanism and fixed the broken spring.

it took me about 2 hours, but thats just because i dont know alot about cars

kr2002
08-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a 2002 kia rio with manual locks. My driver's side door is stuck shut. I also had this problem with my rear passenger door due to the latch screws coming loose. I now tighten the screws and lubricate the latches regularly. Unfortunately when I was attempting to get the driver's door open I used a pair visegrips to pull up on the lock pin and I broke it. I ordered a new latch/lock pin assembly $52 from kia and new scews $?. I will be climbing through the passenger side until all the parts arrive. I appreciate everyone previous experience with this problem. I will be able to use your advise to get the door open when the time comes!

BlackDragon888
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
If the internal lock is stuck,

1) Insert your key , turn it anti-clockwise and hold it.
2) Pull the door handle. It should work.

There is no need to remove the panels. Any wrong application in resolving such simple issues is akin to turning the ceiling instead of the fan to get wind.

dankosh
05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you all for this amazing post. Viva Internet. I have to admint it took me a few readings as English is my second language. Finally I fixed the issue.

First, I opened with a cloth hanger as specified by rfbqwerty. Had to redo this procedure three times as my wife did push the button manually by mistake. Got tired of it and my last time was yesterday when I decided to open the door panel and installed a new spring to the mechanism. It cost me $4 (canadian dollars) at Lowes. :smile:...

Attached are three pictures where you can see the newly installed spring. A picture is worth a thousand words!

Hope it helps!

fworkman
12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I registered for this forum for the main purpose of thanking rfbqwerty

I used your method to unlock this door that has caused me great grief. My wife is now happy and I look like a hero. Thank you rfbqwerty!!

I will pull the door panel on our 2002 Kia Rio Cinco in a couple of days. Now my wife can enter and exit via the driver's door.

Thanks again rfbqwerty and I hope you have many blessed day for helping others in need.:smooch:

JustinLogue
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
I have this same problem with a 2003 Rio Cinco,manual locks and windows. Does any one have any pictures of this faulty spring and how it is supposed to go so I can fix mine? I got the doors open, ijust need to know what to fix now. Thanks!

EDIT- LOL, nevermind. After registering I was able to see the pics some one else posted. I got what I needed now, THANK YOU!!!

tnlp62
05-13-2014, 01:56 AM
i have a 2003 Kia Sedona with the same problem with the drivers door. But my locks are powered. The outside lock will lock all of the doors but not open. The inside power locks open all the other doors but not the driverʻs. Pulling on the outside handle feels like if the door was locked. I was told by a mechanic friend to take out the drivers seat and the panel between the front and back sliding door. But he said that with all of that, it might not work either. Anyone with any suggestions is greatly appreciated. BTW is this a Kia thing?

colonelron
06-26-2014, 05:00 PM
I have a similar problem with an 05 Rio. My driver door lock will not unlock. Has been like that since someone ripped the lock cylinder out of the door. A locksmith rebuilt the cylinder and put it back in but if I lock the door it takes many tries to unlock it.It has gotten to where I removed the inside lock button and put duck tape over the cylinder. What could be causing the lock to refuse to disengage? I would like to trade it in but know a brokjen lock will hurt the value.

Add your comment to this topic!