Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engines stalls after 2 minute running

Alan Desmoro
01-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a 97 Malibu, 2.4 liters and for the past 2 days the engine stalls after running for 2 minutes and won't start again after that until about 2 hours later. When turning the key to ON position you can hear the pump running, the engine starts but after running 2 minutes the pump stops and the engine stalls immediately after that. I turn the key off and turn key back to ON position and you only hear a relay clicking but no pump running. You have to wait an hour or two before it will start again. Any suggestions on what to look for? My guess is the fuel pump is toast. Thank you for any suggestions or comments. Alan
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/alaindes/deadmalibu.jpg

Welshmun
01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi Alan,
No matter whom I've spoken with it seems everyone is dissatisfied with their Malibus. They are garbage. I don't know what Chevy was thinking with this model. I'll take my old 89 Celebrity ANY DAY!

Alan Desmoro
01-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Tank’s for the comment Welshmun .
An update I’ve replace the fuel pump an let me tell you after 8 year of seeing the road everything was seize up under there fuel line connector and the straps bolts, but managed to do the job after 3 ½ hours. But the gas gauge is not working now with this new pump I will have to take it all apart and replace the fuel wiper float assembly.

NOTE :after close inspection of the old pump assembly my problem wasn’t the actual pump its was the connector, the black wire going to the pump was melted and the plug also which caused the intermittent condition when it was getting hot it would relax from its socket and stop the pump and that’s why it would take a couple of hours before I could start it again till it got cold again let me tell you fire hazard this should be a recall for being a safety hazard but I guess nobody has blown off yet so let dragon sleep no body will know .

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/alaindes/pumpconector.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!