Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

programing keyless entry

swaptrex
01-23-2005, 12:21 PM
i just bought a 97 Gmc Sierra w/ keyless entry which worked in the past, but recently the starter went bad which reset everything. how do i go about reprogramming the factory remote to the truck??

blabhern
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I found these instructions on another forum. Hope this works for you

Transmitter Programming
*Start with the ignition OFF, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.
*Turn ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
*Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.
*Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The locks will again cycle once.
*Repeat step #2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.
*Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
*Programming is now complete

StormyNight
01-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Ok, I have a new love for this site now. I bought a new keyless entry remote from a dealer the other day (which, by the way, is getting returned because I got screwed over on the price and found it cheaper elsewhere.) The manual for my 2001 GMC Sierra C3 only says to push and hold the lock and unlock buttons until the locks cycle. Didn't work. So why not, I try searching the Internet for some results, come across this website, sign up, log in, and boom, there are results. I wrote everything down and went outside to try it. Just as described in the above post, it worked like a charm... so I just wanted to say thanks to everybody!

--Matt

Onblsht
01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
The instructions are the same for the 97 and 98 if that helps anyone.

Rollingbones
03-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Sweeeet!!!! I just bagged a new remote on eBay and knew I'd find the instructions here and so it also worked for my '02. I was just thinking that if you split up with your "significant other" or something like that and they won't surrender the other set of keys, you can jump in your truck and reprogram the remote to lock them out. :naughty: Of course the down side is if the other person pissed and does it first...things could get really ugly for a minute or so. :banghead: Man...gotta love high-tech!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!