Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 jimmy, ignition problem

housejudge
01-23-2005, 12:11 PM
I started having this problem just after thanksgiving. when i turn the ignition over it sounds like its cranking, but wont start. I noticed that the dash lights(brakes, air bag, seat belt, etc..) are not on. When the lights are on, it starts right up. Sometime on right away, sometime wait two or more minutes. I was told that the ignition is bad, but I hear a clicking noise under the dash when the lights come on, is this a relay??
Anyone an Idea??

blazee
01-23-2005, 02:20 PM
The ignition switch is is the dash, it isn't the part that you put the key in. Your problem does sound like you need an ignition switch. I know for a fact that the 97 blazers are notorious for bad ignition switches, I'm not sure about the Jimmys though, but regardless, it does sound like you have a faulty ignition switch. You can do a search in the blazer forum and get tons of info.

BlazerLT
01-23-2005, 07:33 PM
The ignition switch is is the dash, it isn't the part that you put the key in. Your problem does sound like you need an ignition switch. I know for a fact that the 97 blazers are notorious for bad ignition switches, I'm not sure about the Jimmys though, but regardless, it does sound like you have a faulty ignition switch. You can do a search in the blazer forum and get tons of info.

No, it is in the steering column.

blazee
01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
No, it is in the steering column.

I just meant that it was internal and not the part on the outside that you put the key in.

BlazerLT
01-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Ah, you said it was in the dash.

nighthog
01-31-2005, 12:01 AM
I had this same problem and replaced the ignition switch. All works fine now. Before you get started replacing the switch get an E-4 torx socket. The book said it's installed with screws, but the screw had a e-torx head. I spent more time tracking it down than replacing the switch. It's not a hard job, just follow the book and take your time.

Add your comment to this topic!